Small red worms in filter! Help!!

Helena

Hello! I just did my weekly water change and my monthly filter change and I notice there my filter pad is covered in tiny red worms! Does anyone know what these are?! I feed them frozen bloodworms, frozen baby brine shrimp, and viformo bottom feeder pellets. From my knowledge frozen bloodworms= dead bloodworms so does anyone know what they are?!

Screenshot_20230130-200222.png

PXL_20230131_040005817.jpg

So...there's a thing I've heard....idk how true it is but there's a thing I heard...

Frozen or freeze dried blood worms?  I've heard of freeze dried blood worms coming back to life after being rehydrated. Never heard of it with frozen tho. I have heard of freeze dried ones coming back to life and reproducing even!  Again, cannot confirm. Purely anecdotal and not even first hand at that. 

On 1/31/2023 at 3:40 AM, Cinnebuns said:

So...there's a thing I've heard....idk how true it is but there's a thing I heard...

Frozen or freeze dried blood worms?  I've heard of freeze dried blood worms coming back to life after being rehydrated. Never heard of it with frozen tho. I have heard of freeze dried ones coming back to life and reproducing even!  Again, cannot confirm. Purely anecdotal and not even first hand at that. 

OH NO! ZOMBIE BLOOD WORMS!!!

• Haha 1

As @Expectorating_Auberginementioned Blood Worms are midge fly larvae. The to options are your frozen blood worms are zombies and did in fact come back to life or, as I believe Exp-Au was implying, midge flys are laying eggs in your HOB. They like polluted water so if your filter is low enough flow it may be an idle spot for them to breed in. I let you decide which option is scarier.

Edited by BlueLineAquaticsSC

Update: I did a gravel vac, threw away my old filter, and kept a couple of those little worms in a glass jar with a lid and they have turned into flies. 

Does anyone know if panacur c works against fly larvae? They seem to be worms and it's a dewormer so I feel like it should work but I am not sure if all worms are created equal. I want them dead please!

• Like 1