Gill flukes.... still!!!!

LDZ

I seek advice again about gill flukes.   One Cory flashing.  Eating great.  Betta and hillstream loach are not.   Just finished round two of by the box directions of paracleanse.   She looks good and not flashing from day one of treatment thru day five when I do the water change and both times she started flashing again on day five.   Just did water change today and need to do something different.  What is level two for treating Gill flukes since I have not seen improvement after two trys with paracleanse??  I just ordered prazipro will that help being a stronger dose??

Tank parameters are perfect 

15 gallon heavy planted two hillstream, one female Betta, unfortunately only one Cory catfish until I get this under control then friends for her 🙂

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 20

Temp 77-78

pH 7.2 ish 

Thank you for your help 💜🦐🐟

Edited by LDZ

This is from the Fritz disease chart, which shows some treatment options for gill flukes.  Photo of the fish would help. Tagging @Colu who has a wonderful “common diseases” thread here on the forum, and they may have an idea of the best course since the first medicine you tried did not solve the problem. 

92F2552A-10BA-443C-AE6C-4DA247687328.jpeg

Have you tried aquarium salt? Aquarium salt works wonders for many diseases.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Funny thing is none of those things are going on.  Eating well getting fat, she runs in the bubbles alot.  I see flashing several times a day......

Can I use aquarium salt on hillstream loach???  If so what dosage?

On 1/30/2023 at 6:11 PM, LDZ said:

One Cory flashing.  Eating great.  Betta and hillstream loach are not. 

Does this mean the betta and hillstream are not eating great?

@xXInkedPhoenixX has a hillstream loach and may know the answer to the salt question.

On 1/30/2023 at 8:56 PM, LDZ said:

Can I use aquarium salt on hillstream loach???  If so what dosage?

If all your fish are flashing I would follow up with prazipro treating every week for 3weeks flashing can be caused by other things irritating the Gill's causing them to flash  if you use carbon pad in your filter the carbon dust can irritate fish Gills if you had an ammonia spike that can cause fish to flash @LDZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No ammonia spike and no carbon......she is one of two original Cory's I got about six months ago.   I added two more about three months ago and unfortunately didn't quarantine, kinda new at this aquarium stuff.   They both were pretty wimpy when I added them.  Within two weeks they died.  My male started flashing I started treating with paracleanse round one and he did the same thing flashing on day five of the treatment.   Two days before round two he was eating, swimming, seemed okay then the next hour he was laying upside down , mouth wide open and dead.  My remaining girl started flashing The next-day.  I started round two of paracleanse then.   I don't know what else it could be.   I wish I knew.  Thanks for the advice.  All other fish are eating great, active and not flashing.

• Confused 1

@Colu what should I do if only the one Cory is flashing and no one else???   I check my tanks parameters every day.   All has been good for a very long time.  Thank you for your help.

Edited by LDZ
Add more

On 1/31/2023 at 11:47 PM, LDZ said:

@Colu what should I do if only the one Cory is flashing and no one else???   I check my tanks parameters every day.   All has been good for a very long time.  Thank you for your help.

I still think it would be worthwhile treating with prazipro every week for 3weeks 

• Like 1