old tank syndrome and tank leak

patricia

help: my 20 gallon long was leaking  and had old tank syndrome, lost all fish but two all my julii's gone and black neon tetras gone but one male now in my 10 gallon with all my plant's and a female salt and pepper cat i feel this 10 gallon is too small for the salt and pepper but too big for the lone male tetra bought another 20 gallon and filled it up for cycling for how long does this new tank have to cycle before i can start adding new fish to help with cycling i added some of my old rizome plants it's been filled and running for 5 days now 

On 1/28/2023 at 6:50 PM, patricia said:

help: my 20 gallon long was leaking  and had old tank syndrome, lost all fish but two all my julii's gone and black neon tetras gone but one male now in my 10 gallon with all my plant's and a female salt and pepper cat i feel this 10 gallon is too small for the salt and pepper but too big for the lone male tetra bought another 20 gallon and filled it up for cycling for how long does this new tank have to cycle before i can start adding new fish to help with cycling i added some of my old rizome plants it's been filled and running for 5 days now 

drip acclimate the fish into a tub, then add them to a new tank when it makes sense to do so.

1. Drain water into a bucket or tub from the tank.
2. Set up an airstone or sponge into the bucket and cover the container so fish can't jump and feel more secure.
3. Set up the new tank, disassemble the old one.
4. When you're ok to do so. even if it's day 1, drip acclimate the bucket to the new parameters the same way you would shrimp.  Slowly over 1-4 hours
5.  Move the fish to the new tank that they have been acclimated to.
6.  Change water if need be, add salt and other things if need be.  Be lean with food so that you don't contaminate the water with food and waste easily.