sponge filter

katebr

How much time do you have, what level of confidence are you looking for (how "nuked" do you need it to be), and do you have a budget to replace the sponge if bleaching or boiling destroys it? 

Do you have reason to believe the sponge is infected with something that will affect future fish? If so, is the disease something that can live without hosts or out of water for a period of time? It might be that all you need to do is let the sponge dry out for 2-3 months. 

However, if you feel like it needs bleaching to deal with whatever, and you don't think peroxide or vinegar or time will kill it, you might be better (for your own peace of mind if nothing else) to just buy a new sponge. 

There's no single answer here, sorry. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 3:25 PM, AndEEss said:

That’s the question I was going to ask, too.

The only occurrence I am aware of is sanitizing a hospital set-up after a known (or unknown) pathogen or parasite has been within the space. Especially if the fish did not recover and return to the main tank. 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:54 PM, katebr said:

how do you disinfect sponge in sponge filter??  just throw it away and get new ones or disinfect??

Soak it in plain seltzer in the dark overnight. Parasites and bacteria do not survive and no chemical residue remains. Hydrogen peroxide soak for 1 hour is my next go to. Also no chemical residue. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2