Anyone ever try this Ludwigia in an aquarium!?

@Theplatymaster it came up on my Etsy feed. I was just trying to figure out if this plant can go in an aquarium. Figured I'd ask around here if anyone has tried. Some aquatic plants like this can be too invasive and hard to keep. I'm just picturing this floater on top of a 125 gallon with no lid and hanging roots....

Bucket list stuff. 

Buce Plants website has this plant listed for sale (unsure if I’m allowed to link, so I won’t) and it gives you the rundown of care and conditions 

50A9F672-18D1-43F7-B4B6-503CF0AEE507.jpeg

ETA: it’s not actually a floater. It roots in the substrate and the leaves rest on surface of the water, much like a lily.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:48 PM, FLFishChik said:

not actually a floater. It roots in the substrate and the leaves rest on surface of the water, much like

In my little world any plant whose main body is above the surface of the water is a floater- but yes probably good someone pointed this out (I did see how it rooted but never mentioned it here). It's partly why I ask if anyone here has done it- I'm wondering how much of a hinderance the roots could be in an aquarium. It might actually be too dense to be pretty/healthy - a pain to do maintenance with or - no good for an aquarium fish environment.... and maybe just best for a pond. Which in my eyes is kind of a shame! 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

In my little world any plant whose main body is above the surface of the water is a floater- but yes probably good someone pointed this out (I did see how it rooted but never mentioned it here). It's partly why I ask if anyone here has done it- I'm wondering how much of a hinderance the roots could be in an aquarium. It might actually be too dense to be pretty/healthy - a pain to do maintenance with or - no good for an aquarium fish environment.... and maybe just best for a pond. Which in my eyes is kind of a shame! 

I was reading the Buce website and although it’s used primarily in ponds, they say it can be grown in a larger Aquarium, but it tends to quickly shade out other plants. Not sure what their definition of “large aquarium” is. I wonder if just maybe 1 plant can produce several “pads” and if you can sort of keep it in check that way and by trimming out additional pads that grow?

I say… you should be the Guinea pig and buy it! Then you can tell us all how it goes 😂

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2023 at 9:33 PM, FLFishChik said:

I was reading the Buce website and although it’s used primarily in ponds, they say it can be grown in a larger Aqua, but it tends to quickly shade out other plants. Not sure what their definition of “large aquarium” is. I wonder if just. Maybe 1 plants can produce several “pads” and if you can sort of keep it in check that way and by trimming out additional pads that grow?

I say… you should be the Guinea pig and bug it! Then you can tell us all how it goes 😂

Here's a deal, buy it for me, and I agree to put in in my pond and I'll post updates  😁

Edited by JoeQ
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:34 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@FLFishChik I totally would if I had something bigger than a 20 gallon! Maybe someday when I get a HUGE upgrade. Maybe by then they'll come up with under gravel lighting so they won't block out the light! :classic_laugh:

Oh… OHHHHH… I JUST saw somewhere that they have submersible lighting!!!! Dang, I cannot remember where!

• Love 1

I'll also agree to be a Guinea pig.  Up to 2' of 3" clusters might require some pruning, but if you could get those colors, it would be preferable to Duck Weed, and those of you with programmable lights could probably make it bloom.

I'd like to see what the stems look like and also what the underside of the plant looks like.  Otherwise it might just be pond material unless you've got a rimless setup of some sort.  It's certainly a beautiful plant!  

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Like 1

I used to be into ponds and kept it in small pots. In the fall I would trim it and bring it indoors for the winter in an aquarium. I'm not sure how well it would do in just sand or gravel. I had mine in 5" Terracotta clay pots. I used a mixture of sand and clean soil with aquatic lily fertilizer. It did good. If you have proper aquatic soil it should do fine as long as its fertilized. It doesn't like a lot of surface agitation. It does have a good sized root structure which is why I kept it in a pot. I kept mine at 6.8 to 7.0 Ph and it did fine. It does better in sunlight but good aquarium lights should be fine. I have one 75 gallon with a large Sailfin Pleco that thinks he's a bulldozer so I have to plant all my stem plants in clay pots or they quickly wind up floating at the top of the tank.

• Thanks 3

I’m slightly obsessed with this plant.  I’ve ordered it 3 times and every time it came in half or completely dead and then anything that wasn’t completely dead melted completely with absolutely no sign of growth.  Every time it’s the right time of year to start it outdoors, it’s sold out everywhere.  I’ve been going to order it early and start it in a tank, then transfer outside to my tub.  That’s my plan this year.  In fact, I need to order now.  It’s not very attractive from under the water and I understand it does best with very bright light.  But I have hopes for getting it established outside, then trying to move starts inside for the winters once it’s used to my local water.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/26/2023 at 4:00 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’m slightly obsessed with this plant.

Me too though I don't think I have the environment for it. I think if you try it again, please post a thread! The Etsy seller I came across has buy 2 get one free (buy 4 get 2 more free, buy 6 get 3 free) and if you order by priority shipping if DOA they refund/replace. So there's probably sellers out there that can help with the DOA part. 

• Like 1

Wow, cool plant!  I definitely want to give it a try! 😎 Considering that I have Red dwarf aquarium lilys on the   water surface anyway, I dont see that being a problem. Not much light making it to the bottom on the right side of this 20gal long in the first place! 😄  Maybe just a little prunning to make room. 

What do you all think? Plant it in a small pot or right into the gravel or maybe an easy planter? What kind of soil? 🤔 I do have Co-Op root tabs. Maybe try a couple of ways.  I do have a 20gal  porch pond as well.

So many possibilities! 🤪

20230126_141722.jpg

20230126_141746.jpg

20230126_141449.jpg

• Love 1