Learning about cichlids

J. Holmes

I’m trying to learn about cichlids… wanting to transform my 20 long into a community tank with either a single cichlid or 2. Looking to start with a Bolivian Ram as a way to learn. In the tank will be 10 neon tetras. And 5 endler livebearers (mostly female). Below is my tank. My main concern is that I do not have sand (this was my betta tank-ready to move to the “old man” tank). If I just sprinkle a thin layer of sand on top, will this be ok for the Ram? Thanks so much. 

ps… is this even a good tank set up for Rams? 

2282D22B-5EBD-4BD8-89C7-AF12D3B14832.jpeg.d20c40275e1ebeb9e550a986086affdd.jpeg

824BF4F2-6BC0-41F8-86A2-10E62EFFBC12.jpeg

Edited by J. Holmes

I think your tank looks perfect for rams. I have mine on black sand but I don't think they do anything that they wouldn't be able to do on gravel.  Its not like they dig a ton or sift through the sand super aggressively. They just kinda pick at the surface looking for morsels of food. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that on gravel.

A pair should do great in a 20L. IMO though getting a group of 6 or so in a larger tank brings out their best behavior which is defending their territories. You could maybe get away with 2 pairs since it looks like you have 2 distinct territories but they may also feel over crowded.

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:36 PM, NOLANANO said:

I think your tank looks perfect for rams. I have mine on black sand but I don't think they do anything that they wouldn't be able to do on gravel.  Its not like they dig a ton or sift through the sand super aggressively. They just kinda pick at the surface looking for morsels of food. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do that on gravel.

I would suggest getting at minimum 2 males and 3 females but 2 males and 4 females is better.  This will show you their main behaviors which is mating and defending territory.  Great fish.

Thank you so much! Would that amount be ok with the endlers and tetras? I don’t want to overstock… super nervous/ excited about keeping them! 

I edited my post because I didn't realize it was only a 20L.  I would go with a pair or maybe 2 pair if you don't mind the jostling for position that will happen in teh beginning. Whatever you do, do it all at once. If you put a pair in and then try to add another pair later, the original pair will feel like the entire tank is theirs and won't want to give up any territory to the new comers. If they are introduced all at once, they will figure out the spacing.

If you do go for 2 pairs though, watch the tank at the store for a while and see if you can identify M/F pairs that are already pairing up. It'll help. I once had a male that was super pretty but for whatever reason could never get a female to pair with him.

• Like 1