What size tank would you recommend?

Hey guys I’m planning on getting a big tank in the next year or so and I was wondering what size tank you would recommend I get? I’m thinking either a 125g or 75g but I don’t know what’s a better option.

the 75 will be cheaper and I will have more options for places to put it in my house but the 125 would give me more fish options.

some of the stocking ideas I’ve thought of are: geophagus tank, dwarf mbuna tank, lake tanganyika tank, discus tank.

These are some different tank setups I’d like to do some day and both the 75 and 125 would work But I don’t know if the 125 is worth the extra money/space it takes up.

9335BB04-6069-4323-8D79-237FAF52A9A4.jpeg.9716ccd980d9d2fefa638fb83e541877.jpeg8FF8BD09-27F9-4604-AA22-D9023413FEDF.jpeg.d94dfa9c1d5fe152cbb410447e0251cc.jpegwhat would you do?

I only have a Petco near to me.  They dont offer 6 foot long tanks.

Where does one find 6 foot long tanks?   Do other chain stores carry them? Is it typically a special order thing?  

ordered freight?

The few online sites I have looked at they seem prohibitively expensive to me.  In the $1,800.00 range…

vs $130 for a 75…  

Unless I could get a 125 gallon for well under a grand, I have a hard time for seeing myself getting one…

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 2:16 PM, Jacob Hill-Legion Aquatics said:

I’m thinking either a 125g or 75g but I don’t know what’s a better option.

the 75 will be cheaper and I will have more options for places to put it in my house but the 125 would give me more fish options.

I think a lot of people tend to forget how big a 75g is. It's pretty big. It's a good size tank!

That being said if you're keeping fish that get big, that's another story. If you're going to stick to SAEs and smaller.... Probably fine with a 75G.

If you go above 75G you probably should go acrylic.

On 1/24/2023 at 5:25 PM, Pepere said:

Where does one find 6 foot long tanks?   Do other chain stores carry them? Is it typically a special order thing?  

One chain store won't have them because of the 50% off stuff they have to stock. They might have a 90 but not a 120.

I've only ever seen them in saltwater shops, special order, or rarely at a PetSmart.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:25 PM, Pepere said:

I only have a Petco near to me.  They dont offer 6 foot long tanks.

ordered freight?

The few online sites I have looked at they seem prohibitively expensive to me.  In the $1,800.00 range…

vs $130 for a 75…  

Unless I could get a 125 gallon for well under a grand, I have a hard time for seeing myself getting one…

Check FB market place, I always see people selling large tanks

• Like 1

I have a 36g bow front, a 75g and I’m in the process of replacing it with a WaterBox 6025, ~143g. Almost double the volume. 

Truth be told, I wish I had gone straight to the bigger tank from the 36 bow front. The footprint is 1.75x bigger than the 75g. It’s absolutely massive in comparison. And that’s what you’re buying with a big tank: footprint.

Edited by AndEEss
  • Like 1

I have had all sized and currently I have a 40 breeder and the wife has a 10g.  I have another 10 gallon at work.  I have had up to 75 gallon and TBH a 75 gallon is small.  My next tank is going to be a very large island tank once I get new carpet and re-drywall the den/basement. My wife wants her cichlids back so I’ll do that. I’m thinking 220 acrylic but I just need to do the measurements. I’m not sure it will be that big though.  I’m thinking something 6 foot long but 3 feet deep.  Have a ridge of rock and caves in the middle.