Filter and thermometer adaptations

Knew tooth is

Hola fellow/fella forum-ites.

Thought I'd take the liberty of passing on a few adaptations that may stretch a modest budget. Interested in your thoughts or any feedback you might have.

1) On a 20 gal high fitted with a HOB AquaClear 50, I purchased sponge (photo) from Amazon, cut it into a long piece using a cutting board, pierced the sponge with a letter opener, and twisted the intake tube through the sponge, making a tight fit (photo). The previous sponge attached to the intake tube became of sorry condition (photo); not exactly sure why. But, this long sponge allows for greater area for uptake and has not decreased outflow. Am considering drilling a few holes in the upper portion of the lower section of the intake tube. There is plenty of left-over sponge for additional filter for placement in an HOB reservoir or for making additional pre-filters; 2) On a 10 gal fitted with an AquaClear30 (specified for a 10-30 gal tank), the outflow was too vigorous, particularly for the fry. Adapted a sponge to decrease velocity of flow entry into the aquarium by partially cutting through the upper portion of a sponge and then fastening the sponge with grocery store ties to the uprights of the sponge/charcoal/biomass holder (photo). This additional sponge does not appear to decrease total flow. Moreover, one now has a "post-filter", with the outflow either passing along the sides of the sponge or through the sponge proper; 3) Purchased from Amazon small favor bags (photo). In these bags are placed bio media rings. The entire bag can be removed when cleaning and changing the sponge/charcoal. The rings, with their bacterial colonies can be preserved and, at the same time, algal growth and detritus/fecal material can be removed by swishing the bag in the siphoned aquarium water. Removes the tiresome chore of I picking out each ring, one-by-one, with any number only to fall to the depths of the aquarium and needing to be "fished out". One can also place charcoal in these bags and easily remove and replace with new charcoal; 3) Thermometers with suction cup for attachment to the glass of the aquarium: I've had a couple that no longer stick. Placed the suction cup towards the bottom of the thermometer and wrapped the weights used for holding plants into the substrate, around the suction sup (photos). The thermometer tip is then inserted into the substrate. 

image.jpeg.2d757b8e4559a17f9e55c98354f290cb.jpegimage.jpeg.c8e9d802b8b1611c8e4798c00395308c.jpegimage.jpeg.295eb35c5051c2b0e8c707d3eee2cf80.jpegimage.jpeg.db9fd2138a1e7522d01e4e46217ef27e.jpegimage.jpeg.f78e561265b565ac258a7aa910a32edc.jpeg

IMG_20230123_153549919 (1).jpg

IMG_20230123_153615676 (1).jpg

IMG_20230124_120831554 (2).jpg

IMG_20230123_163832364 (1).jpg

IMG_20230124_121018626 (1).jpg

IMG_20230124_121054341 (1).jpg

IMG_20230124_121904206 (1).jpg

IMG_20230124_121805721 (1).jpg

IMG_20230123_153655536.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, Knew tooth is said:

1) On a 20 gal high fitted with a HOB AquaClear 50, I purchased sponge (photo) from Amazon, cut it into a long piece using a cutting board, pierced the sponge with a letter opener, and twisted the intake tube through the sponge, making a tight fit (photo). The previous sponge attached to the intake tube became of sorry condition (photo); not exactly sure why. But, this long sponge allows for greater area for uptake and has not decreased outflow. Am considering drilling a few holes in the upper portion of the lower section of the intake tube. There is plenty of left-over sponge for additional filter for placement in an HOB reservoir or for making additional pre-filters;

Yeah it looks like that prefilter you had got sucked in from the pump and just wasn't happy.  If you see a sponge like that it's probably restricting the input too much and could damage the pump.  Hopefully the new stuff works a bit better though!  Whenever I see a sponge like that I just clean em to make sure it's not clogged and stopping the input from working.

I wouldn't drill any additional holes.  ACs have a fairly direct input that's open and shouldn't need any added mid-skimmer or anything like that.

2) On a 10 gal fitted with an AquaClear30 (specified for a 10-30 gal tank), the outflow was too vigorous, particularly for the fry. Adapted a sponge to decrease velocity of flow entry into the aquarium by partially cutting through the upper portion of a sponge and then fastening the sponge with grocery store ties to the uprights of the sponge/charcoal/biomass holder (photo). This additional sponge does not appear to decrease total flow. Moreover, one now has a "post-filter", with the outflow either passing along the sides of the sponge or through the sponge proper;

They do have baffles for bettas, things like that on etsy that a few have used on the forum and work really well.  It gives a sort of spraybar output.  Looks really nice.... eventually someone will make a manufactured one with that piece!!!

I like your solution, it works. Gives use for the hooks on the basket.  It's an easy, nice, elegant way to handle that.  To your question/statement about decreasing of flow.  It spreads the output over a larger area, but it doesn't decrease it.  You are correct there! 🙂

3) Thermometers with suction cup for attachment to the glass of the aquarium: I've had a couple that no longer stick. Placed the suction cup towards the bottom of the thermometer and wrapped the weights used for holding plants into the substrate, around the suction sup (photos). The thermometer tip is then inserted into the substrate. 

Marina / Fluval / whomeverownsitnow actually makes a version of the thermometer that doesn't float and sits on the bottom of the tank.  Shouldn't affect anything, but just be careful with that interior of the thermometer sliding around and giving you a false reading. 🙂

Amazon.com : Marina Standing Thermometer, Fahrenheit and Celsius Aquarium  Thermometer, 11202 : Aquarium Thermometers : Pet Supplies

Hi AndEES, You're right, turbulence is down. If the fish need the magnitude of turbulence provided by the stock set-up, then this adaptation would "not float the boat". This application would be advantageous when the fish-type/fish size (fry, e.g.), don't relish turbulence. An additional advantage is one can maintain high filtration, even using a HOB filter with specs for utilization at the outer end of tank volume. In the circumstance in the initial communication, the HOB spec's were for a 10-30 gallon tank and the tank was 10 gallon. I suppose one could even extend this concept to an "oversized" HOB, which would provide even further filtration. As pointed out by nabokovfan87, there are several baffles on the market that decrease turbulence and would provide this advantage. In the model presented, one get's the extra kick of filtration. Thanks for your observation and comment.