Asian tank stocking

beastie

Hi guys, since I liked your replies to my other question so much, I have another question to ask πŸ™‚

I have an "asian stream" tank set up. It isΒ 110 cm x 40 cm x 45 cm but thanks to all the rocks it is more like 130l so like 34 or 35 gallons. It has been running only since October, but with a cycled filter from other tank and plants from other fishtanks as well, so it is not a new new tank. It houses 20 (gold) white cloud minnows and since two weeks ago, 4 panda garra

The garras are super small, 3cm tops, they are very lively, they hang around, on the glass, everywhere, together or in pairs, they even colored up nicely. No issues with feeding, I see them grazing on the algae stones, I see them fighting with the minnows for pellets and even head down in between pebbles to catch whatever fell there. Awesome fish. Given how small they are (barely larger than the minnows), I wonder if I should get like 2 more, or if 6 would be too much if and when they grow up to their full size.

My initial idea also was to get hillstream loaches or some of the other suckers, be it borneo sucker or the other sewellia. I am not sure now though, because I have seen them, they are larger than the garras at this moment and would outgrow them, and if the garra also eats the algae, I dont think the production would be sufficient for all the fish. I did a low plant setup with longer light sections to promote the growth and since recently the stones are starting to be coated with algae.

If I do not add the hillstream loach, I would perhaps want some other fish to complement the tank. I made the tank with some cave hiding fish in mind, so there is one hollow out stone and three other places that provide cave like structures. I am not sure if the garras will end up using them, they seem to hang out all over the tank at this point.

I do like the idea of kuhli loaches but they wouldnt enjoy the pebbles I hazard. Not sure if any other sort of loach would work, I do not have the experience with them. There are no shrimp and only pond snails and ramshorns that I would be willing to move somewhere else if the fish would try to eat them. What fish would you recommend? Or am I overreacting with the sewellia?

The point is, while the filter has some flow, it is not a massive flow and I am not sure about the "enough oxygen in the water" parameter that everyone says hillstream loaches must have. Some people also have success with keeping them in not that strong flow rated tanks. My pH is around 7,2 or so, soft water, no heater, at this moment 22Β°C, in summer I expect 25-26Β°C to be the top temperature. The tank has a lid. So far the minnows are not yet breeding, I added some salvinia to the top recently, since the hornwort was not doing what I expected, so maybe it will change.

I considered, if the tank is running for a year or two, as a change, to add a pair of paradise fish, but that is a future decision, I want to enjoy the minnows for a while and see them breed.

Thank you

Β 

1669493903193.jpg

IMG-0645.jpg

IMG-0643.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 1/24/2023 at 1:17 PM, Theplatymaster said:

Nice! What is that big stem in the corner?Maybe try a group of Honey Gouarmis?

On the right side is a classic hornwort, though it is not doing so well, had to move the light towards it

Gouramis do not appreciate strong water flow, and they dislike cold water, so sadly they are out. The paradise fish is the one that would work for this, but not just yet.Β 

On 1/24/2023 at 7:20 AM, beastie said:

On the right side is a classic hornwort, though it is not doing so well, had to move the light towards it

Gouramis do not appreciate strong water flow, and they dislike cold water, so sadly they are out. The paradise fish is the one that would work for this, but not just yet.Β 

maybe a barb? Such as a gold or odesesa? they dont care about flow, and will tolerate cold water fine.

• Like 1

@LennieΒ Wish I could help! Unfortunately, I don't deal with the cold water loaches much as it gets to hot here in Texas and I don't want to pay the electric bill trying to keep my home cold enough for them. Β @beastieΒ If your tank could maintain your expected summer time temperature then I would recommend a school of Striata Botia (zebra loach) for your tank. Their pattern is striking and they won't get to big for a tank your size. Β Khulis would be another great choice at that temperature and you could keep 10 of them IMO. Β Since I don't keep my loaches, to include my khulis and Striata Botia, below 78f/26c I can't say how either species would do at 22c. I feel ich might/would be a problem but can't guarantee it. Β Sorry I couldn't help more. Best of luck and I think your tank looks great!Β 

• Like 2

I think the safest option will be a hillstream loach. Maybe will check out someΒ gastromyzon instead of a sewellia, will do some reading. I read stories where the hillstream is a bully, but that was always the case when there was only one.

I think I should get 5, even though it is a large number, will give better chances at posible breeding. There are many hiding places in the tank. Later on, if it works or not, I can add something else.

The biggest problem will be waiting for them, especially since I am going to a store on Sunday and they will have them πŸ™‚

I went with the safer option, got 5 hillstream loaches (sewellia linoleata). It has only been a week and I usually see just two or three out, but once I saw all five, so hopefully all is ok. They look good, no issues so far, noone is hanging on the filter output, they dont seem to be suffering from low oxygen,...

There are various nooks and caves they can hide in, I hope they do like that. So far they have not participated in the feedings, but there is overabundance of algae in the tank, just for them.

My panda garras are voracious eaters, and they wiggle everywhere, strange that they are not all scratched just yet πŸ™‚

Β 

Here is a video montage I made, sorry about the algaeΒ 

Β 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

An update on this tank, just an fyi

Given that the minnows are not breeding in the man tank, I had a sort of opening.Β The idea of one midwater fish was initially due to potential for breeding, which is now not going to happen.Β I considered getting another shoal of some barbs, like odessa ones, but the bioload of two shoals seemed a bit too much to me, since the stones put the litrage at like 130 or 150 tops, so I got one male paradise fish instead.
I added surface plants like water lettuce and stuck the hornwort behind a filter to make a better shelter for it. For now the fish is freshly added a bit stressed so glass surfing and not at all interrested in any other fish in the tank.
I hope their agressive nature reports are exagareted, like with bettas, based on a fish itself. If he bothers any of my other fish or snail antennae I will return him, per agreement with the breeder , but I am so hoping it will all work. It is the biggest fish I have ever had and he is stunning.

I am unsure if its tail is not a bit split, will see later on, it is the blue variety with red stripes (,Macropodus opercularis) it has started to color up. Will add pictures once the fish calms down a bit. I initially wanted two females alongside it,but it may be best in a community tank to just keep the male, to not bump the agression

On 5/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, Gannon said:

Wow I just adore this tank. I desperately need to do a smooth stone aquascape like this some day!

To be fair though all stones are deep green now. Not everyone likes it like that πŸ™‚

picture attached for the stone color, though the snail color is also great πŸ™‚

IMG_20230314_141407.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 11:25 AM, beastie said:

To be fair though all stones are deep green now. Not everyone likes it like that πŸ™‚

picture attached for the stone color, though the snail color is also great πŸ™‚

IMG_20230314_141407.jpg

I think thats a fun look too!