Cory with translucent scales

Mike Omeg

I have an Emerald cory that was fine yesterday and looks like this today. Have had the fish for about a year. Please recommend treatment and diagnsis.

150gal heavily planted tank, 74F, 0 nitrates/nitrite/ammonia, 7.2ph, >180ppm GH and KH. Water changes every other week. Hard well water.

Thank you!

Video links:

60910E1B-36E7-42AF-AC14-31D99A1DE0EE.jpeg

6B03CC76-0BDC-45B9-B3EF-B8465C1FF341.jpeg

• Sad 1

On 1/23/2023 at 6:31 PM, Mike Omeg said:

150gal heavily planted tank, 74F, 0 nitrates/nitrite/ammonia, 7.2ph, >180ppm GH and KH. Water changes every other week. Hard well water.

What meds do you have on hand, is it possible to move the cory to a smaller QT tank so you can dose meds a bit easier?

What meds do you have on hand?

I would lean towards aquarium salt, cattapa leaves (botanicals), adding oxygen due to dosing in meds, and then treating with kanaplex.

This looks like some form of a bacterial disease.

Hello,  the cory is still looking the same.  No changes in the translucent scales.  I have the Co-op medicine trio and marine saltwater mix available.  I could quarantine but the darn fish is fast and my 150gallon is heavily planted and scaped.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:34 PM, Mike Omeg said:

Hello,  the cory is still looking the same.  No changes in the translucent scales.  I have the Co-op medicine trio and marine saltwater mix available.  I could quarantine but the darn fish is fast and my 150gallon is heavily planted and scaped.  Thanks!

I would consider treating with kanaplex and salt right now.  I would use things like tannins as well if that's an option.  I can't say if something like erythromycin might be a better choice here.

cc @Colu @Odd Duck

You could try using a fish fish trap to catch him i use a hobby genius fish trap with sliding door if you can't remove him than I would do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days you could add it to repashy as you have live plants I just add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

IMG_20230203_121949.jpg

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is there any chance he got stuck someplace that caused these scale changes?  It almost looks like there might have been an injury across the top of him right at the base of his dorsal fin.

I would do exactly what @Colurecommends in this case.  It would likely be worth trying to use a fish trap or use your hand to herd this one into a net to get him out and treat in a hospital tank/tote.  Otherwise you need to treat your entire 150 gallon tank, which is less than ideal.  Using Maracyn-2 in Repashy would be your best bet if you can’t catch this guy.  Otherwise Kanaplex is going to cost you well over $150.00 by the time you treat your whole tank.

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix typo
  • Like 1