strange invaders part 2

KittenFishMom

Please let me know if you have ever had a midge infestation in any of your tanks, and what you did or what I should do about it.

It looks like I have some sort of midge infestation in my shrimp/cory tank.  They are very small, about the size of fruit but not as beefy. The water has been cloudy for about a week. When the nitrite square on the test strip is light pink, I do a water change. I am sure I was over feeding powdered fry food earlier, but have cut way back. The 3 adult corys and the shrimp seem to be acting normal, no flashing or hiding. It is hard to tell in the shrimp population of 30 has changed with all the cover in the tank.

I added a lot of java moss, I had in a shallow pan for a few months, to the tank for cover for the baby neocaridina shrimp babies and the cory fry. I think the java moss had midge fly eggs in it and they are hatching and eating the java moss. I think the java moss caught the powdered food and slowed the water flow, causing a bacteria bloom. I don't know if the midges have any good or bad effect on the tank. The adults that are emerging from the water are gathering on the tank walls about the water line. I have taken the lid off again this morning in hopes that they will fly out of the tank and get lost in the house.  I was seeing tiny cory fry several days ago, but have not seen any in a the last few days. I don't know if they are hiding in the java moss, or if the moss has slowed water movement to the point they they are not doing well. I have 2 sponge filters and an air stone in the 10 gallon half cylinder tank. I moved the air stone to the area I saw the midge larva in the java moss against the glass of the tank to increase water flow in that area.

Here are some photos of the adult midge flies.

218770942_adults2s.jpg.d68844132c18211f09294eb7b6e95185.jpg

946957057_adults1s.jpg.c9ae60e770abcbf642be5ee2d012c019.jpg

There are more photos in the original post:

adults 3 s.jpg

@bryanisag ants? now I don't feel so bad.

I use "scrubbing Bubbles" bathroom foam cleaner to battle ants and flying  wasps.  It is mostly either and kills instantly, much faster than "Raid". It also completely removes the ant's scent trail, so they can not find there way to and from the nest.  It wipes clean without rising and the either dissipates very quickly. 

@nabokovfan87 and @Jennifer V and @bryanisag I have read a good bit about midges. Seems like in general they are harmless, except they clog filters, which would explain why my 2 sponge filters aren't dealing with the cloudiness. I added and HOB with a knee high stocking over the intact filter and added a normal filter and a water polisher. I don't know how much it will help. but I am at my wits end. after adding the HOB, I ruffled and rubbed and pressed everything where I was seeing the midge larva, including the glass and then rubber the sponge filters a bit, but did not take them out of the tank. Hopefully I won't loose my cycle.

I am so frustrated with that tank and my QT tank with only 5 little fish that seems to have lost it's cycle, I am about ready to throw in my nets. They have been keeping me from helping my disabled son get his furniture put together and helping him get moved into his apartment. I'm going to help him tomorrow even if all 3 tanks decide to have ammonia spikes. I don't mind hobbies that take a lot of time and problem solving, but when you know you need to figure things out before your pets get sick, or die, it takes a bit of the fun out of it.

I'm so glad the forum is here to help. I don't know what I would do without you.

• Like 1

I understand feeling discouraged. My 5g shrimp/snail tank is a mess right now. There are some days where I want to just tear the whole thing down, so you're not alone. I think everyone here has felt that way at some point. Try to focus on one thing at a time, like getting rid of the midge problem, and see if the cloudy water clears up on its own. From what I've read, it often does disappear as quickly as it appeared. 

Remember that discouragement comes from care and love for the hobby. They go together. Give yourself a break. You're doing just fine! You've got this! 

Keep us updated. We're here to help! 

• Love 1

On 1/23/2023 at 4:10 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I am so frustrated with that tank and my QT tank with only 5 little fish that seems to have lost it's cycle, I am about ready to throw in my nets. They have been keeping me from helping my disabled son get his furniture put together and helping him get moved into his apartment. I'm going to help him tomorrow even if all 3 tanks decide to have ammonia spikes. I don't mind hobbies that take a lot of time and problem solving, but when you know you need to figure things out before your pets get sick, or die, it takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Dose in some dechlorinator to give yourself a break and do what you need to. Unfortunately, I understand the struggle. I had a pretty frustrating time with some sponge filters and I think after a few months I'm finally ok. I didn't have ammonia issues, but it was a situation where the filter was constantly fighting me.

Hopefully things settle down, if you need anything, please feel free to hit me up.

Best of luck with the furniture and moving. Try to enjoy the time with your family.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:10 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I don't mind hobbies that take a lot of time and problem solving, but when you know you need to figure things out before your pets get sick, or die, it takes a bit of the fun out of it.

Agreed.... So many questions sometimes!

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Love 1