Infusoria culture smells bad; is that normal?

Rube_Goldfish

I have some Apistogramma cacatuoides fry that I have been trying to feed with Sera Tropical Flake food ground up in a mortar and pestle. I think it's working, at least a little, because they're about a week old, maybe a few days more than that, but if I'm being honest it's hard to tell. It's a community tank so Mom has them under cover a lot, and when I spray a cloud of powdered, ground flake in their general vicinity I lose sight of the already hard to see fry.

I tried to culture infusoria using the method described in this video starting at the 1:38 mark:

Twenty-four hours in, it smelled sort of bready, because of the yeast. Seventy- two hours in I went to feed it into the tank but it smelled bad, sort of like a garbage can ready to be taken out. Not gag-inducingly bad, but just moderately bad, if that makes sense? Anyway, that spooked me from feeding it in, and at this point I'm wondering if they're too big for infusoria anyway. Should I just  toss the culture?

I think the community's recommendation will be baby brine shrimp, at least for these week-ish old fry. I've never hatched BBS; is the Ziss hatchery really worth the money over a DIY hatchery? For the next batch of newly-hatched fry, should I just use commercial powdered fry food like Easy Fry and Small Fish Food?

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:49 AM, Theplatymaster said:

My note on the infusoria culture smell, is just DONT SMELL IT. It smells like what it is, rotting vegetation. Ive never tried a DIY BBS hatcher so IDK. I do like Easy Fry and Small Fish Food, or a Repashy powder for fry.

Thanks! So it should still be safe to feed?

On 1/22/2023 at 11:50 AM, Theplatymaster said:

id say look into the culture, if you can see little white dots and worms and whatnot moving around, those are what you are trying to feed, and it will be fine, otherwise you might just be giving your fry water.

Fair point! I'll have to get the magnifying glass out, then. But at least there won't be anything foul or unhealthy about it, so that's reassuring. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Regarding DIY brine shrimp hatcheries; they are not hard to make and work just as well. I have used them in the past and got great results, just make sure it's constructed properly. 

You can use boiled egg yolk as an alternative to infusoria in the early stages of fry development. Powder food works just as well, but BBS are by far the best food.   

• Thanks 1

Apisto fry can take food larger than infusoria right away. I would go a local fish store or petco/petsmart and get some frozen baby brine shrimp.

Thaw a cube out in some water and shoot a bit in the direction of the fry with a pipette. That's probably the easiest solution. 

Infusoria will work, but the fry will want something more substantial soon.

And congrats on the fry!

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 3

On 1/22/2023 at 8:26 PM, tolstoy21 said:

Apisto fry can take food larger than infusoria right away. I would go a local fish store or petco/petsmart and get some frozen baby brine shrimp.

Thaw a cube out in some water and shoot a bit in the direction of the fry with a pipette. That's probably the easiest solution. 

Infusoria will work, but the fry will want something more substantial soon.

And congrats on the fry!

ORD but thank you! I've been using the turkey baster to try to target feed the ground flake food, so I guess I wasn't totally off-base. I've got frozen adult brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and some San Francisco Bay brand frozen food mixes, but I'll try to find the frozen baby brine. And I guess I'll start trying to watch my own!

Related to that last point: the other fish in the tank include honey gouramis, sterbai corydoras, and cardinal tetras. Do you know if they're too big to be interested in BBS?

On 1/22/2023 at 8:33 PM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Related to that last point: the other fish in the tank include honey gouramis, sterbai corydoras, and cardinal tetras. Do you know if they're too big to be interested in BBS?

Tetras will definitely eat baby brine, in my experience. Not sure about the others.

The only fish I've seen ignore BBS are Oscars (for obvious reasons) and Zebra Acara (not sure why, but I have never seen them take any). Every other fish I keep will eat BBS. I feed a little bit of it to all my tanks on a daily basis. 

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 5:45 PM, tolstoy21 said:

What's ORD? Sorry, I'm getting to that age where web/text acronyms go right over my head!

Yeah Google's not much help there either... All I see is that it's the acronym for the Chicago airport but that doesn't make sense in context

• Haha 2

On 1/22/2023 at 8:45 PM, tolstoy21 said:

What's ORD? Sorry, I'm getting to that age where web/text acronyms go right over my head!

Sorry! This one is specific to the Aquarium Co-op forum: out of reactions for the day. I'd like to click the Thanks reaction but I've used too many in the last 24 hours, so I have to wait for them to "re-charge", so to speak.

• Thanks 2

As an inside joke we should say 'Chicago O'Hare' when out of reactions. 

Anyway, my old muck jars of infusoria I used to feed small fry always had a funk to them. 

For little cichlids though I always went straight for the BBS. When I had cichlid fry in community tanks I also dropped in sinking pellets like bug bites. The tetras and others would let that stuff fall to the bottom and the little cichlids could pick at it for awhile. Not sure how well that'd work with the corys I. The tank. 

Congrats on the spawn! 

• Thanks 1