Fertilizer for dry starting Monte Carlo

I am trying out dry starting for the very first time.  I am using a 12 gallon (36"L X 8"W X 10"H) tank with Eco-Complete substrate. I set this tank up 2 weeks ago with Monte Carlo tissue culture. Since the Eco-Complete doesn't contain any nutrients I broke open some Easy Root Tabs and sprinkled it across the surface of the substrate. Misting the plants has washed the powder into the substrate. The MC doesn't look as good as I would like and was wondering if a dilute water w/Easy Green solution could be used to mist on the plants, or if it would just do more harm than good.  Another option would be to use dirty aquarium water from another tank to mist the plants with.

Monte Carlo.jpg

• Like 1

The humidity is high enough that there is condensation on the sides of the tank. There is a spot where I have dug through the substrate to the bottom of the tank so I can see the water level, there is just enough water to barely cover the bottom of the tank, this can be seen in the photo.  It is a rimless tank with a 36" Finnex light and is covered with saran wrap, I have pulled the wrap back about an inch on two opposite corners.

I’ve done two dry starts with MC and both times  I’ve had a bit of yellowing. I think it’s normal and it should fill in with healthy leaves as it grows. I used aquasoil and didn’t need extra ferts but I think you’re on the right track with the misting of easy green. Also, blast the light on high intensity for as long as you want since you don’t have to worry about algae. 😁