Snail Eggs?!

A3M0N

So, while cleaning and water changing today I found this! Is this a snail egg clutch?! If so, how is it possible? I got the snail July of last year, at least 6 months ago. Could this be why she (I guess I know her gender now) has been hiding and not eating as much? I would think she would eat more if this is what I suspect it is. 

Can y'all confirm this?  @Guppysnail, @Chick-In-Of-TheSea, @TeeJay 

IMG20230120111005.jpg.94b8bedda625902d0f2a4fd25d5a4dee.jpg

• Love 2

That is, indeed a very small clutch. Most likely infertile. They can be fertilized and hold the sperm for up to 10 months. But even if they are not fertile all that stuff develops in their body, and they lay eggs occasionally. I would be concerned though over her not eating as much unless maybe she’s starting to find more Yummies in your tank now that it’s really doing great.

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 2

Thanks @Guppysnail! If they're likely infertile, I shouldn't feel bad removing them right? 

I think she is finding more to eat these days. I did some good cleaning and trimming and found a decent about of brown algae and other "stuff" in the back corners and edges. I left most of it alone as she seems to be enjoying it, I just pruned the more algae covered leaves and scrubbed the java fern leaves. 

• Like 2

They could fertile or infertile - never can tell. Hehehe. I mean until some time passes and you can see changes in the eggs- or maybe you don’t see anything happen.

Because snails hold fertilized eggs for many months, as @Guppysnail mentioned. 

This was how I ended up hatching baby snails. I only had 1 snail!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2