Morning fellow nerms. How about a little later morning coffee with TeeJay.

This morning I spent some time cleaning out my tidal filters in the Cory and killi tanks. It was pretty easy considering I just took them over to the grow out tank and cleaned them in there. Yep out all that yucky goodness to use 

I took the time to swap out to all sponges in the tidals. With a bit of cc in media bags. I can't go without that since I have 0 kh in my tap. Shout-out to @nabokovfan87 for the sponges. It sent them to me awhile ago to finish the hot rodding of the tidals. Well the mods may never be totally finished as we learn more 

I took the media bags of bio rings and stuck them by the double stacked large sponge filters to help the seeding process.

yes this tank will not have fish for many months but I want this tank to be well seasoned with bio film and very stable for when the time for fish happens. Going to let it go for another month then I will add a couple of mystery snails to help keep the system going until it's fish time. Then they can come out and go back to other tanks. Hopefully in that time I'll see if any ramshorns made it thru the plant rr so I can address that if it happened. Here is a pic. You may see a gross tank to start. But I see seasoning starting to happen.

IMG_20230128_100737383.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Morning all. So I did a thing this morning. I ordered the new penguin pro 125 and the fluval 207 for the tank. They will be in tomorrow. So the main pieces of equipment needed to do the new adventure are already in hand

or will be here tomorrow. I did a small water change on the tank to suck out the gunk from the sponge filters I squeezed out into it. 

I know it's still going to be several months until it will be needed but I like to be prepared. I was also thinking I may move over Mr. Platy to this tank just to help keep it going well. My only concern is I don't want him to get to lonely being in a tank all by himself. He has always been in a tank with other fish so I havey reservations.

IMG_20230131_144202952.jpg

Edited by TeeJay
  • Love 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:06 AM, Guppysnail said:

You could always move Mr. platy over, and if he seems stressed out at all, and move him back.

That's true. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for me to notice if he starts to get stressed. The tank is at the same temp as the one he is in. It should be a smooth move if I do.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 8:47 AM, TeeJay said:

I was also thinking I may move over Mr. Platy to this tank just to help keep it going well. My only concern is I don't want him to get to lonely being in a tank all by himself.

i dont reccomend this. Platies are very social fish. They can clearly get lonely alone. Ive seen this, and had to fix it. If you are adding a pair or trio it would be fine, but dont do just 1

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:11 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i dont reccomend this. Platies are very social fish. They can clearly get lonely alone. Ive seen this, and had to fix it. If you are adding a pair or trio it would be fine, but dont do just 1

Mr platy has only had a guppy who was rehomed bn pleco and I think some cories. Do you think it would be that much of a change for him since he already is the only one of his species?

Edited by Guppysnail

On 2/1/2023 at 9:13 AM, Guppysnail said:

Mr platy has only had a guppy who was rehomed bn pleco and I think some cories. Do you think it would be that much of a change for him since he already is the only one of his species?

thanks for educating me on this fish in particular. I'll redefine what i said. You can keep 1platy. Plenty of people do it, it doesn't kill the fish. However, they are happier in even small groups, and you can see their fun behaviors better if they have friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 9:18 AM, Theplatymaster said:

thanks for educating me on this fish in particular. I'll redefine what i said. You can keep 1platy. Plenty of people do it, it doesn't kill the fish. However, they are happier in even small groups, and you can see their fun behaviors better if they have friends.

Yes he is the only one I have. Variatus to be exact. He is only with Cory's plecos and least killis

On 2/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

Maybe get Mr platy 1-2 MALE friends to hang out with for awhile in the 20 based on @Theplatymaster information. No females or you’ll get over run. 

Hmmm... this gets hard, ive heard variatus males can be very agressive, but IDK, i just have standard mutt platies, where the extent of the agression is males chasing each other around. Might be best just to have 1 platy than have a few males killing each other. But @TeeJay dont do just 1more male platy, that makes agression real bad, if you are getting  more, get 2+ more so if there is agression, it will be better spread out.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 2

There here there here!  It's like Christmas for TeeJay. Not going to set them up tonight but I did look at them and all the fun parts to play with lol. I have some more sponges coming to put the the trays of the 207 and in the compartment on the penguin. So when those come in I'll actually start running them. And on the way home from work I picked up a new piece of mopani to put in the tank as well. Lost of surface are on it to grow all the yummys that the babies will love. And it's always fun to talk to the friends at my local reptile shop where I like to get my wood from.IMG_20230202_173635402.jpg.b2566f7eac68b3e93a112ff80ea6dcd8.jpg

IMG_20230202_190017502.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:10 PM, TeeJay said:

There here there here!  It's like Christmas for TeeJay. Not going to set them up tonight but I did look at them and all the fun parts to play with lol. I have some more sponges coming to put the the trays of the 207 and in the compartment on the penguin. So when those come in I'll actually start running them. And on the way home from work I picked up a new piece of mopani to put in the tank as well. Lost of surface are on it to grow all the yummys that the babies will love. And it's always fun to talk to the friends at my local reptile shop where I like to get my wood from.IMG_20230202_173635402.jpg.b2566f7eac68b3e93a112ff80ea6dcd8.jpg

IMG_20230202_190017502.jpg

Is there some sort of discount getting mopani from a reptile source as appose to a fish source?

On 2/3/2023 at 8:10 AM, Theplatymaster said:

Is there some sort of discount getting mopani from a reptile source as appose to a fish source?

No not really. I still payed 20 bucks for a medium size piece. Sure you can go on Amazon and get the same stuff in a 2 pack but you don't know what shapes and sizes your going to get. I like being able to go in store and pick out what I like and will work for my person use. And to talk to the family that runs the store and see what new snakes and such they have in. Imo you still can't beat going into the local store and just spending some time. I don't have a lfs anymore so my local reptile store I can still at least go in and pick out nice wood pieces. As well they told me they can order in alot of the filters gravels or anything else "fish" relate for me and get it for there price so that's a bonus.

Edited by TeeJay
  • Like 2

Morning fellow nerms. How about some coffee with TeeJay shall we. 

So like I said before I got the new fluval 207 and the new penguin pro 125 in a couple of days ago. I'm still waiting on the green sponge I ordered to cut and put into both filters. As well I got the marineland pre sponge filter they make for that line of filters. It's a square style and it fits perfectly into the right side of the filter and in intake tube plugs into it. Instead of just having a basket on that side with bio media. The other side of the compartment will be filled with green sponge. 

The trident silicone grease will be delivered today and the rest of the sponges are suppost to be here by Wednesday so I can finish the setups. I got the new piece of mopani boiled and ready to go in the tank as well. Will probably put it in tonight after work.

IMG_20230202_173635402.jpg

IMG_20230203_174510837.jpg

IMG_20230203_174551340.jpg

IMG_20230203_174600859.jpg

IMG_20230203_174611661.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Good morning fellow nerms. Hope everyone is well. Time for coffee with TeeJay.

Last night I got the penguin pro setup on the tank. In the last post you saw I got the square sponge for the right side of the filter. Last night I got the other sponges for the main compartment of the filter. So I cut two of them down to fit. But I noticed they moved a bit and would hit the bio wheel. So I had some extra plastic mesh that I used for filtering the light on the Cory tank. I believe it's used for like latchook yarn work. So I cut a piece to size and slid it into the slots that are ment for the replaceable cartridges. It worked great. And the holes it it are plenty big enough to let plenty of flow through. Only time will tell how optimal it will be. I still have the green sponge coming in a couple of days for the 207. I may swap out one of the black sponge to run one green and one black in here since they have different densitys.

IMG_20230205_181707295.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Got the 207 hooked up and running today. Still getting used to the thought of the water pumping out of the tank and back in. I know I have everything hooked up well but you know when that thought hides in the back of your mind.

I moved the sponge filter to the back right corner of the tank so in uptake tube for the 207 has plenty of room to draw in water. The output is to the right side of the tank aiming more to the right side of the tank. I have the valve about halfway open. If I go above that it just blows the floating plants around like a monsoon.

The penguin is still running well and the bio wheel is still spinning so that little mod I did seems to be keeping the sponges in place well enough so far.

The mopani went into the tank as well. So it's all ready for when the time comes for babies if it happens. I'm sure I have a good 3-6 months before that time could come around. But it's nice to know I have a tank and a well filtered setup. And if for some reason pleco babies does not work out I have a plan for the tank anyways. I have another fish all picked out that will do very well in a setup this size.

IMG_20230206_165925603.jpg

IMG_20230207_123341809.jpg

IMG_20230207_123355301.jpg

IMG_20230207_130738543.jpg

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...