Baby hillstream loaches

Arcticgypsy

So noticed a little thing bouncing across the gravel at the front of the tank this morn.  On closer look it seems it's a baby hillstream loach.   I'm shocked.

A few questions (tank details below):

I have had what I believe is a female hillstream loach for almost 5 yrs.  A local shop finally got some in so I thought I'd get it a few friends.  Picked up 3 more.   After 6 weeks in quarantine, put them in my tank the last week in December.  

No issues they seemed to be getting along.  A few, what I thought were territorial battles ( chasing eachother in circles) with my old loach.  It would seem they were up to something different. 

I did notice one of the new loaches under the terracotta log.  I thought it was odd, but whatever.  They are quirky little things. 

Not going out of my way to do anything special for the baby.  Will let nature take its course.  The only fish on that level of the tank are the loaches and a single otto cat, so unless they eat their own, I think it will be okay.  If it lives great. 

Would like a lil info though;

1) Fry Food:  There is a lot of established algae I leave on the back wall as well as a gunky sponge filter in the corner that I'm sure will provide lots of food.  (almost cleaned that thing yesterday glad I didn't)   Should I add any other special food or will it find what it needs?

2)How often 7 Where:  How often do they spawn?  And where do they tend to lay eggs?  I looked this morn, and don't see any sign of anything.  Although I did a gravel vac and water change yesterday so could have gotten rid of some babies / eggs by mistake.  (I feel bad now, but I had no idea they were even there)

Tank details in case anyone is wondering: well established planted tank.  with driftwood.  Running a Tidal 55, sponge filter in the corner, bubble wall at the back, and additional airstones in each corner for the tank. 

Tank size: 29g
Tank Temp: 78F

Parameters:
PH 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: usually 15 to 20
GH: 9
KH: 5

Tank Mates:
1 Angel - male about 5yrs old
4 black neons
5 Cardinal tetras
1 Otto Cat
1 Old hill stream loach (female I think and about 5yrs old)
3 new hill stream loaches (think I got 1 female and 2 males)

baby hillstream-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 7

Congrats this is cool I want to breed them/ own them myself in the future so I’ve done a little research and will offer the little I know. 1. If your feeding the tank, he should find what he needs I might adjust to add a smaller size for example if feeding pellets I would feed the pellets then offer a little more crushed to almost a powder, same with flakes. It spreads all over the tank to give you that added insurance that he has the ability to find food but chances are he will find something to graze on in an established tank. 2. How often, I’m unsure however as far as where they reproduce, from my limited knowledge it is usually rock piles or very tight fitting close knit spaces similar. I’m not sure what your tank looks like but I would look for an area that is similar to a rock pile or something that has very small crevices you wouldn’t expect the fish to even go in. Hope this helps, good luck 

Thanks.  I have since spotted three of them.  Two seem to like it in and around the sponge filter.  Another seems to like an old piece of mopani wood that is covered in anubias.

I picked up a little piece of dragon stone and some java moss.  Will be attaching moss to the stone in a few days. (Soaking / cleaning the stone a few days)

Also found sera fry food.  Very fine powder.  Oddly my black neons go crazy for the baby food lol.  

I paid $6.99 at a lfs

https://www.amazon.ca/sera-micron-Can-Fish-Food/dp/B0010RN5CC  

Edited by Arcticgypsy
Update
  • Love 2

On 1/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, Arcticgypsy said:

On closer look it seems it's a baby hillstream loach.   I'm shocked.

That's AWESOME.  I was extremely excited for you when I saw the thread title, hoping for photos.  Nice work, congratulations, and clearly they are doing well already so they are in a good spot!

I would recommend repashy soilent green powder for them.  That is what I fed mine day to day and they did well on it.  For fry, you'd turn everything off and dose in a little bit of powder, letting it sink, then turn the filtration back on in 15-20 minutes.  When they get older and can graze properly, just use normal repashy with a little extra water in it.  Spirina tabs is also another route to go.  they break down and turn into powder but will have a little pile for them that does really well with bottom dwellers.  Just double check that the first ingredient is actually spirulina!

On 1/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, Arcticgypsy said:

Running a Tidal 55, sponge filter in the corner, bubble wall at the back, and additional airstones in each corner for the tank. 

Sounds right!  Tons of air and circulation, nice setup. 🙂

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

Thanks.  I am obsessed with them.  I have a chair right beside the tank now.  I sit and try to locate the babies daily.  They are so cute.   Was reading more about them.  Unlike guppy fry, it Seems the loaches take a year to grow out.    I picked up the sara fry food which is a good quality fine powder.   Never thought of shutting the filter down.  Will give that a go when I feed in the morn.   Have to do maintenance this weekend I know generally where the babies hang out so won't vac near them.  May put a fine mesh media bag over my python and drain into a pail to be on the safe side.  Have some fresh java moss going to attach to a stone and add it at the same time.    

• Love 1

On 1/27/2023 at 10:14 AM, lewk said:

This video might be helpful - I've really enjoyed his videos for breeding other species. 

Great video thank you.  Really loving these little guys.  I think it's rekindled my interest in the hobby.  🐟

Going to do my 1st maintenance since I noticed the babies tomorrow.  Picked up a decent fluval gravel vac, and new white 5g pails (food grade).  Will be safer than using the python.  It's got flow control on it as well, so I think if I'm careful as to where I'm placing it, it should go fine.   I know roughly where the babies are hanging out, so will focus on other areas.  I figure with the pails, I will be able to see any babies that might accidentally get sucked up.    Adding some more java moss to a stone as well.  they seem to like going into it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update:  The babies continue to do well.  Did maintenance yesterday, and counted 8 babies.  They are starting to get their color / patterns now.  They are actually doing that play fighting thing they do. It's funny.   they chase eachother in circles like a dog chasing its tail.  They  sometimes struggle to swim against the current in the tank, but I think that's a natural thing.  Something they would have to do in the wild for sure.  Makes them strong swimmers I think. 

I would say they are almost the length of an adult cardinal now. 

Hillstream baby.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1