Any Smartphone Quitters Here?

PineSong

A Youtuber I've sometimes watched, Wheezy Waiter, is giving up his smartphone for 2023 and using a 'stripped down' version that has more limited uses.

In my work I hear a lot about phone addiction, shortened attention spans, and the elimination of non-screen hobby time, so I've given the idea some thought both for myself and as a possibility for others.

Anybody here done it? Contemplated it? 

• Like 3

I watch Weezy Waiter too. I'm currently trying to lower my electronics usage overall. I went through my podcasts and youtube subscriptions and shows on 'my list' on my streaming services last week and deleted everything that was really only on there as a time filler. I'm not left with a whole lot. I'm also trying to leave my phone on my desk when I'm home and in my purse when I'm not instead of on my person 24/7. I keep finding myself with it in my pocket again after using it to check the weather or google something, but I'm trying.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 8:11 PM, lefty o said:

no one likes a quitter, so i never started! my phone plugs into the wall still. no texting, no this, no that, no people being able to bother me everywhere i go.

That's fortunate. 

I held out as long as I could until I was basically forced to upgrade to a smart phone for work in the early 2010's.

On 1/19/2023 at 1:47 AM, MAC said:

That's fortunate. 

I held out as long as I could until I was basically forced to upgrade to a smart phone for work in the early 2010's.

I was almost the last person I know to get one, early 2010s as well. Kinda wish I hadn't.

• Like 2

I remember, probably somewhere around 2008-2010, I was lamenting the rate at which phone technology kept advancing, and that I just couldn't (didn't care to) keep up. I was of the mind that I'd just give it up, live in the dinosaur age. But then I read something that said soon phones would control all aspects of our homes, lights, heat, security, TV, etc. And it made me think, dang if I don't keep up, I might not even be able to get into my house someday. Now we're there, everything "smart". We haven't outfitted our personal home that way. Thank goodness my husband hasn't decided he needs an "Alexa" or "Hey Google" in the living room. But still. 

Regarding 'Screen Addiction', it's real, pervasive & pernicious. It's damaging enough to us, but the fallout for young children remains to be seen. 

I don't think I could give up my phone completely, for practical reasons. But I like this idea of becoming more intentional in it's usage, and when not to use it. Actually scheduling blocks of time when it's out of sight, out of mind. Might even get me to pick up a book in 2023. 

• Like 1

I’m not on my phone that much (for my age/ compared to my peers) but I don’t think I even could cut down on screen usage that much, my parents already do that

On 1/19/2023 at 11:30 AM, Anjum said:

I remember, probably somewhere around 2008-2010, I was lamenting the rate at which phone technology kept advancing, and that I just couldn't (didn't care to) keep up. I was of the mind that I'd just give it up, live in the dinosaur age. But then I read something that said soon phones would control all aspects of our homes, lights, heat, security, TV, etc. And it made me think, dang if I don't keep up, I might not even be able to get into my house someday. Now we're there, everything "smart". We haven't outfitted our personal home that way. Thank goodness my husband hasn't decided he needs an "Alexa" or "Hey Google" in the living room. But still. 

Regarding 'Screen Addiction', it's real, pervasive & pernicious. It's damaging enough to us, but the fallout for young children remains to be seen. 

I don't think I could give up my phone completely, for practical reasons. But I like this idea of becoming more intentional in it's usage, and when not to use it. Actually scheduling blocks of time when it's out of sight, out of mind. Might even get me to pick up a book in 2023. 

Who wants to play some Skyrim on the toaster with me?!

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2023 at 9:04 AM, Aiden Carter said:

I’m not on my phone that much (for my age/ compared to my peers) but I don’t think I even could cut down on screen usage that much, my parents already do that

Who wants to play some Skyrim on the toaster with me?!

Good on your parents. 😁

It's good to develop hobbies & interests that don't involve using your phone. Which you're doing with the aquarium hobby. I hope you also have the opportunity to get outdoors & 'Enjoy Nature Daily'. That's really the cure for what ails us in this modern digital age. 

• Love 1

I'm a late-adopter of nearly everything, so I was also late to the cell phone and smart phone revolution. I had to have a smartphone for a job I began in 2012 and have had one ever since, but never really used it for anything but texting and making calls until a couple of years ago. I really value having podcasts to make walking and some chores more enjoyable, but I would like to go back to the time before I would whip out Wordle when I was sitting at a red light

I'm not sure that I want to go back to traveling with a large paper map that needed to be unfolded and refolded and was printed in miniscule font. I had so many of those maps in my car!

But even contemplating that, without the phone GPS I would be inconvenienced maybe 10 days per year, vs. the 365 days per year I am currently inconvenienced by people feeling I should be reachable at all times, or being on the other end of that feeling waiting for one of my kids to respond to a text because I also picture them as reachable at all times, etc.

Food for thought! Thanks for sharing everyone!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 1:20 PM, Anjum said:

Good on your parents. 😁

It's good to develop hobbies & interests that don't involve using your phone. Which you're doing with the aquarium hobby. I hope you also have the opportunity to get outdoors & 'Enjoy Nature Daily'. That's really the cure for what ails us in this modern digital age. 

Not so great when they don’t allow me to study, or talk to people, or use my device because they aren’t in the best mood

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 11:59 AM, Darax said:

Ever reboot your phone and reach for your phone to pass the time? 

No.  but I have caught myself reaching for the touch screen on my dumb TV

I've said many times that I am not emotionally attached to my cellphone. It is a tool.  If I really feel the need, I can bring up the fishcam on my phone.  Most of my screen time is spent here on the desktop.  I regularly irritate people because when I go home at night the cell goes into the drawer and remains unsupervised for hours!

On 1/20/2023 at 5:17 AM, Aiden Carter said:

Not so great when they don’t allow me to study, or talk to people, or use my device because they aren’t in the best mood

I'm sorry. It's hard, I get it. Parents are just people, with faults & flaws like anyone. 

• Like 2

I use  very few features on my "smart"phone. It seems like nothing more than a tracking device to me. And now my newest car wants me to sync my phone to this obnoxious computer screen that's mounted on the dash. Not too "smart" if you ask me.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2023 at 9:13 AM, Tanked said:

No.  but I have caught myself reaching for the touch screen on my dumb TV

I've said many times that I am not emotionally attached to my cellphone. It is a tool.  If I really feel the need, I can bring up the fishcam on my phone.  Most of my screen time is spent here on the desktop.  I regularly irritate people because when I go home at night the cell goes into the drawer and remains unsupervised for hours!

Wait there are touch screen tvs!?!? 

personally I don’t like touch screen computers, especially when you are talking to some one and point to something and click on it

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, DaveO said:

I use  very few features on my "smart"phone. It seems like nothing more than a tracking device to me. And now my newest car wants me to sync my phone to this obnoxious computer screen that's mounted on the dash. Not too "smart" if you ask me.

My newest car, has electric windows, and that is as smart as it gets.  My State has just made holding or supporting your cellphone a primary offense.  This is unfortunate because I use the phone for navigation. I will now have to buy a holder that blocks my view of the road, or requires me to look away from the road.  Insurance company plugin devices do track GPS data, cellphone usage, and anything else that your EDR monitors. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, DaveO said:

And now my newest car wants me to sync my phone to this obnoxious computer screen that's mounted on the dash. Not too "smart" if you ask me.

When my wife and I was car shopping a few years ago, we went to a dealership and the salesman was showing us all the fancy electronic gadgets and back up cameras, sensors that tell you if a vehicle is nearby. He was flabbergasted when I asked him if we could get the car without the big screen up on the dash and without the fancy gadgets. He asked, "you don't want the back up camera?" I politely told him "Nope, I have been driving for over 30 yrs and had a CDL license for 15 years and know how to use my mirrors and believe it or not, I can back up a trailer without the fancy trailer back up assist feature as well." In the end, we did not buy that vehicle, got something different, but strictly for this. 

• Thanks 1

I occasionally help friends and relatives with their smart cars.  I have to say that it is nice be able to press a steering wheel button or ask the car to call someone, especially for older drivers.  However, having to wait for the screen to offer helpful driving suggestions, or a promotional advertisement before allowing me to search multiple menus to reset the oil change light is obnoxious.

@Andy's Fish Den I didn't know trailer assist existed.  I'm also very good with using the mirrors, but I do like the camera for when I need to be within inches of something, or putting the ball directly under the hitch the first time, without help.   It's the proximity sensors and warning beepers I don't like.

• Confused 1

On 1/24/2023 at 6:05 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

When my wife and I was car shopping a few years ago, we went to a dealership and the salesman was showing us all the fancy electronic gadgets and back up cameras, sensors that tell you if a vehicle is nearby. He was flabbergasted when I asked him if we could get the car without the big screen up on the dash and without the fancy gadgets. He asked, "you don't want the back up camera?" I politely told him "Nope, I have been driving for over 30 yrs and had a CDL license for 15 years and know how to use my mirrors and believe it or not, I can back up a trailer without the fancy trailer back up assist feature as well." In the end, we did not buy that vehicle, got something different, but strictly for this. 

oh yeah, the tv sized screens in cars are absolutely rediculous. all one needs is a radio with some pre-set buttons, and then keep your eye's on the road.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, Tanked said:

@Andy's Fish Den I didn't know trailer assist existed.  I'm also very good with using the mirrors, but I do like the camera for when I need to be within inches of something, or putting the ball directly under the hitch the first time, without help.   It's the proximity sensors and warning beepers I don't like.

Ford has a back up function for backing trailers, I've seen it in a friends truck, he uses it all the time. One of our work trucks has a back up camera, and the only time I use it is when I am backing up to hook a trailer up to get the hitch and ball aligned. It is handy for that. 

• Like 1

I have always been relatively conscious about how much time I'm staring at my phone.  I typically do a decent job of being present.  I do listen to a lot of YouTube videos and podcasts.  But typically not looking at the screen.  But as far as social media goes, my Samsung has "digital wellbeing" capability and I just set 20 minute timers on apps that can suck away a bunch of my time without me really thinking about it.  You can override it if you "need" to, but it does help stay on top of and aware of time spent.

You can also just go in and see how much time you've spent on certain apps, which is sometimes frightening, but very powerful if you're really looking to make a change.

I would say, though, that most people thinking along these lines are already probably doing a pretty good job managing their intake.  I average screen time was actually lower than I had expected it to have been, but I still wanted to decrease, so added the timers on some apps.  Other than the addictive quality of the thing (which is inherent in the design), it is a very powerful and useful tool. I use mine a lot for water changes and aquarium "stuff" with Kasa smart strips and plugs.  

Edited by jwcarlson

On 1/24/2023 at 9:35 AM, Tanked said:

However, having to wait for the screen to offer helpful driving suggestions, or a promotional advertisement before allowing me to search multiple menus to reset the oil change light is obnoxious.

An advertisement in a thing you bought for thousands of dollars!?! I'd be hopping mad and take the thing back if at all possible. Good grief!

And while I rely on turning my head around and using the mirrors, the backup camera feels like just one more helpful tool. I've got a lot of little kids in my neighborhood, and a lot of them are short enough that their hard to see through the back window. I wish I had one on my car and can't wait until they're standard on every model.

The last one I remember seeing was on a Ford.  For clarity, I am referring to a single image, not a video.  In this case it was for the dealership where the car was purchased  If your car has a USB port, you may be able to change your startup screen.   Being a computer, there may be other ways.