Angel Fish thinks he is a Corydora

SuzanM

Hello everyone. This topic is for fun.  I love all types of animal, reptile, aquatic behavior and want to share my Angel Fish's behavior in one of my tanks. Short back ground I have a 40 gallon breeder with Emerald Corydoras and 2  Bolivan rams.  I wanted something bigger and be more visable.  I have several Angel fish in my other tanks so I got another angel fish.  After quarantine for 30 days I put my new angel fish in his new home with the corys and rams.  Long story short this fish thinks he is a Cory.  He hangs, hides and feeds off the bottom like them.  He only comes out when the corys and rams do.  Yes he is a lone angel fish so I did introduce another one to see if his behavior would change.  I had to remove the other angel fish as this guy was beating up the new one.  I said to myself fine Be a cory and have the tank to yourself with the corys and rams.  Has anyone else had a certain fish develop the behavior of another type of fish.  I found this very interesting and funny.  One more reason why fish keeping is so much fun.

Thanks for listening.

Suzan in NC

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Love 3

I had a lone CPD survive long enough for me to see it in s parent tank. I moved it to a Pygmy cory tank. It swam and ate with the Pygmy. When I added more CPD fry he stayed with the Pygmy. He still lives with the Pygmy in a larger tank and still prefers to be near them over my other CPD. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Guppy Snail, Ken Burke and others for sharing their fish behavior stories. I am a retired small animal Veterinary Technician and as much as I love my cats and dogs oh and my chameleon too fish are also quite personable and I find myself talking to them like they are my dogs and cats. Have a great day everyone. Cold and rainy here in eastern NC

On 1/18/2023 at 8:56 PM, Guppysnail said:

I had a lone CPD survive long enough for me to see it in s parent tank. I moved it to a Pygmy cory tank. It swam and ate with the Pygmy. When I added more CPD fry he stayed with the Pygmy. He still lives with the Pygmy in a larger tank and still prefers to be near them over my other CPD. 

I received a male furcata rainbow in my shipment of CPDs from AquaHuna.  The female CPD is gravid and they're starting to do a lot of rubbing against and touching each other.  And that furcata is right in the mix with the CPDs.  

• Like 1

I have a school of 6 white clouds. 1 of which always was a loner. Never hung out with the others and I even fed her separately.

Well fast forward 8 months and I introduced some orange fin hill trout (more like a fancy danio) to the tank and well wouldn’t you know this white cloud was just a trout in a minnow’s body. She hangs out with them, chases them around the tank, even sleeps with them. I was concerned at first as the trout are rambunctious and play rather rough with each other. But they seem to dial back their play when chasing her. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I've had a reverse trio of angels (2m 1f) spawn together. I don't have any videos from before because I posted them in a different forum but it was the weirdest thing ever. The two males took turns in fertilizing the eggs and when they were done spawning they all protected the eggs. The clutch didn't survive because it was in a community tank, but it was really fascinating to watch

• Like 1