Adding New Plants Question

Hey all!

I have an established 10g with plants that went in a few weeks before the fish ever touched the water and they are doing quite well. I want o remove the fake rock/plant decoration I have in the tank and replace it with some more plants. I'm looking at 1 Scarlet Temple, 2 Dwarf Hairgrass (to hopefully begin carpeting the bottom of the tank a bit), and 1 Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus. All from the Aquarium Coop store...

My question is, are these OK to put straight in to the tank of are there considerations that need to be made? My idea was to get them and do a 30% water change when they arrive (just to bring down the water level enough to more easily plant them...

I use Easy Green... Any need for root tabs too?

(Substrate is gravel... I wish I had done a soil...)

Hi @wes.crockett the only consideration is, do you want "pest snails" which ACO may have. There is always the possibility of introducing other bacteria or illnesses too no matter what plants you get from where. A safe way to eliminate all those possibilities is to go to our Reverse Respiration page here: 

Reverse Respiration

Dwarf hair grass isn't the easiest of plants IMO. I've tried it in my low tech tanks and it all died, I wouldn't discourage you from trying but it's a gamble. 

If you want to add plant substrate you can. Some people add pots of it to their tanks and plant in the pots. I've put some at the back of my aquariums then capped with the gravel in the past. There are ways of doing it but it can be disruptive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @xXInkedPhoenixX

I do have one assassin snail in the tank, would that be sufficient in dealing with any passengers?

The Reverse Respiration method seems fairly simple to perform... would likely just need a few gallons of Seltzer to do it.

Regarding planting in the pots, do you just mean that they put the whole pot down and surround it with whatever substrate? that should be pretty easy on the tank I have set up. I may give it a try.

I've always put my co-op plants right in, no issues. I haven't had good luck with Scarlet Temple, and once it takes, the Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus could easily take over a 10 gal in my experience, but it's a great plant for fry to hide in if you're into that. 

I would have a look at the crypts - they have the best crypts IMHO, and mine love root tabs. I have a 10 gal with a wendetti crypt and after heavily fertilizing it, it's basically a background plant now. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 9:58 AM, wes.crockett said:

assassin snail in the tank, would that be sufficient in dealing with any passengers?

Yes, I'm sure they'd appreciate it. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:58 AM, wes.crockett said:

you just mean that they put the whole pot down and surround it with whatever substrate? that should be pretty easy on the tank I have set up. I may give it a try.

yes, you can do it that way, or you can also just place them in the tank. However it works out for you and the look you're trying to achieve. Our friend @Guppysnailhere does a wonderful job of this by using terracotta: 

image.png.2d978766cc4f2e65614e8ba0356fcaba.png725AA5A5-2D4A-41E9-8709-9EE6D073A69D.jpeg.620711e3904cec38f17d4ab899485583.jpeg.jpg.09599df305bf9d985732f1ab50137eb0.jpg

I've also used more decorative bamboo pots or pots that "look" like wood or stone. Get creative! 

And yes, Reverse Respiration is very easy. I did a whole bunch of plants with only two, 2 liter Seltzer bottles. 

• Thanks 1