Growth on Mollys lip?

BBQRacer

Following this. I have the same thing on a couple of neon tetras. Have been treating with Pimafix and Melafix for almost a week. It has not reduced the issue at all but at least it has not spread to any other fish.

pH 7.1, nitrates, ammonia, nitrites all 0. Temp is 74.

IMG-3831.jpg

IMG-3830.jpg

Edited by GoDawgsGo
Add pictures.

On 1/18/2023 at 11:55 AM, Colu said:

These type of lumps can also be caused by neon tetra disease primafix and melafix are just mild antiseptic treatment i wouldn't use them for anything more serious as @xXInkedPhoenixXsaid @GoDawgsGo when did the symptoms start and how quickly did your other fish develope these lumps

It started (I think) with some fungus on a gourami on its side which died quickly before I had a chance to treat. Then a couple days later I noticed this white growth on the two tetras that I uploaded. Right now it's just on those two fish. Just a few other tetras and a bunch of plecos in the tank right now.

On 1/19/2023 at 12:23 AM, GoDawgsGo said:

It started (I think) with some fungus on a gourami on its side which died quickly before I had a chance to treat. Then a couple days later I noticed this white growth on the two tetras that I uploaded. Right now it's just on those two fish. Just a few other tetras and a bunch of plecos in the tank right now.

What I would do if you can is quarantine the neon tetras and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons and do a course of maracyn2 in food if there struggling to dose tankIMG_20230115_234745.jpg.b9a21792973c9ac1a15586cbaef7fdc9.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Thank you for the advice. I do not even know where to purchase these items, nor do I honestly want to spend this much energy and money saving two tetras. How likely is this to spread to other fish? I have a heavily planted 75g so even getting them out to quarantine would be difficult.

On 1/19/2023 at 5:16 PM, GoDawgsGo said:

Thank you for the advice. I do not even know where to purchase these items, nor do I honestly want to spend this much energy and money saving two tetras. How likely is this to spread to other fish? I have a heavily planted 75g so even getting them out to quarantine would be difficult.

It's difficult to say whether it will spread with out knowing exactly what the cause is you can get the medication I recommend off Amazon I would definitely recommend quarantining them even if you decide not to treat 

On 1/19/2023 at 6:33 PM, Schuyler said:

@Colu you are definitely the undisputed champ of this section. What is your background? Were you a vet or ichthyologist or did you just decide one day that you wanted to wanted to become an expert on fish diseases?

Over the years when I had sick fish the recommended treatments weren't very effective so I started to read a lot of books and articles on the subject and read up about the active ingredient in the medication to find the most effective treatment so self taught  when you have kept fish for over twenty years you pick up a few things disease is one of the things every one who keeps fish will encounter at one time I find prevention is better than cure always quarantine new fish good water parameters good quality food live plants correct tank size will all help to reduce stress in your fish and  prevent disease out breaks 

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2