HELP! CENTER brace cracked!!!!

ab1990

NOOOO cracked center brace on a 55g tank during a tank swap!!!! I was swapping a nicely used 55 from a super scratched 55. Then I cracked the center brace!

I took off the old upper trim of my old 55g tank....and was going to start removing the trim from the new 55g tank...but then I figured out, the "old" trim fits right over the [now] bad trim, so I saved myself the hassle from removing the other trim as well. 

So I should be good, right? Yeah, the original center brace is split, but now there's the old trim over it so the tank can't bow???

Pictures of the broken brace by itself, and the replacement brace placed right over it As well as when the tank is filled....it looks like the original brace has seperated just a few MM with a full tank of water, but not going any further. 

Is this sufficient or should I go get a 1/4" piece of glass and silicone it and make a brace that way?

PXL_20230116_051221511.jpg

PXL_20230116_051239968.jpg

PXL_20230116_054904374.jpg

PXL_20230116_071356495.jpg

• Like 1

Personally, I know that I have nearly zero confidence in my aquarium repair DIY. Maybe if you Euro-braced everything to the highest standards you could get by. But for me, N E V E R   E V E R ! ! ! I have seen what danage 1/5 th that much water can do on the floor.

But if you’re just curious, here’s something to watch…

Probably impossible to find parts. But this is the method.

Replacing with glass works just make sure it's strong enough. There's all kinds of calculators out there for people who build tanks.

On 1/16/2023 at 4:19 PM, Fish Folk said:

Personally, I know that I have nearly zero confidence in my aquarium repair DIY. Maybe if you Euro-braced everything to the highest standards you could get by. But for me, N E V E R   E V E R ! ! ! I have seen what danage 1/5 th that much water can do on the floor.

I bet a 75 would fit there! 🙂