29 gallon aquarium ideas

Gannon

Does anyone know if dwarf petricola catfish would do alright in a 29? I really want to get them and saw them at a store. I know they get a little big, maybe I could put them in my 125 if they get too big? Let me know what you think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, but i noticed your question about they petricola.  About 15-20 years ago i had one in a 29 gallon with an Oscar (temporary) a pair of Jack Dempseys and a Common Pleco, at the time that was the only variety you could find around here.  They all got along fine, until i lost the tank in an accident. All of the other fish were juveniles and so they were all about the same size, 4-5 inches.  I definitely had to keep up on the water changes but otherwise i didn't have any real issues.

On 1/26/2023 at 10:45 AM, neidzwiedz said:

Sorry I'm a bit late to this party, but i noticed your question about they petricola.  About 15-20 years ago i had one in a 29 gallon with an Oscar (temporary) a pair of Jack Dempseys and a Common Pleco, at the time that was the only variety you could find around here.  They all got along fine, until i lost the tank in an accident. All of the other fish were juveniles and so they were all about the same size, 4-5 inches.  I definitely had to keep up on the water changes but otherwise i didn't have any real issues.

Good info thanks! Did you mean to say the petricolas got 5 inches? Bigger than I thought they got.

On 1/14/2023 at 1:29 PM, Gannon said:

I'm still thinking about ideas for a 29 gallon tank. I previously thought about pencilfish and hillstream loaches, but hillstream loaches might be a bit too expensive for a big group. I might do something pretty basic and cheap, but if I can find some fish, creature, or interesting community that would be really exciting I would be willing to spend more. One idea I had would be a school of cherry barbs, a group of honey gouramis, some kind of loach or other bottom dweller, as well as my L333 pleco thats still very small. 

My 29 gal currently house:

-1 Bolivian Ram

-5 Honey Gouramis

-6 Albino Corydoras

-4-5 Mystery snails

-10 Chili Rasboras

This has been an amazing tank. The chili rasboras orange/red with Gourami yellow look so nice compared to the green plant. The white corydoras contrast the black gravel I have, really well. And the Bolivian ram is a great bottom dweller centerpiece that has a lot of personality.

• Like 1

This is my 29 and i think this is what i like a 29 to be; though others might think it is a bit messy and too cluttered:

Population - two runt angels some cardinals  - sterbai cory - L204 (you can see the L204 under the middle driftwood and to the right one of the sterbai) bunch of mystery snails and some smaller plecos that are getting larger over time - 1 or 2 L128 and  4 Wabenmuster. Too many mysterysnails.

29_nov_12_22.jpg.8aab7ca9527cb4232342c1a8e08ddfa0.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:20 PM, Gannon said:

This is a good idea!

happy to help, just a small warning they can be slightly harder to find, and can be like $15-$20each. But beyond that they are very fun fish. I forgot to add, very peaceful too, otherwise my description could match african cichlids.

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 1/29/2023 at 3:01 AM, Theplatymaster said:

I really like Panda Garras, for that size tank maybe do like 3.

I remember reading either one or atleast 4, and 2-3 may resulting in agression. Have you tried it?

I haven't kept them yet, planning to add a single one to my new 33g

You may check this one out:

"Tip: It is not recommended to buy a small group of Panda Garra. In small numbers, they are more aggressive to each other. Therefore, it should be either one or at least 4 – 6 of them."

https://aquariumbreeder.com/panda-garra-detailed-guide-care-diet-and-breeding/

If they do okay, I may consider 2 or 3 too, but 4 is too much to me. I feel like they would lack surface to graze on in 33g as 4. Even though the link recommends for like 80Liters tank

Would love to hear if you tried less than 4. I'm considering them as a part of my crew! 🙂

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 12:31 PM, Theplatymaster said:

happy to help, just a small warning they can be slightly harder to find, and can be like $15-$20each. But beyond that they are very fun fish. I forgot to add, very peaceful too, otherwise my description could match african cichlids.

aquahunaa has them cheap and shipping isn't too bad esp if they have other fishes you need. I picked up 6 from them for my 40 - they do now and then have epic fights but generally they stick together. The only big negative is that they are very aggressive eaters which can be a problem if you have more passive fishes.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:02 PM, Lennie said:

Would love to hear if you tried less than 4. I'm considering them as a part of my crew! 🙂

sure, i just keep one. Its a male (Thats not relevant) and he is fine alone. He eats very healthy, and seems to have no problems say a neon tetra would have if you kept it alone. For more details PM me, im trying not to spam this thread with unnecessary information.

• Like 1