Sterbai Cories Spawning in the community tank!

Lennie

On 1/29/2023 at 12:32 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

A decent water change and a temperature drop seems to get them spawning, according to a friend. 

It sure is, but I've always been doing cooler water changes for the last 6 months or so.  I  think them reaching maturity takes a bit of time! 

Btw, I sadly haven't seen the eggs on the glass again in the morning. My only hope seems to be the well hidden ones in the mosses. 

I'm not sure if my borneo sucker ate them from the glass. She is my number one suspect. 😒

On 1/29/2023 at 11:17 AM, Lennie said:

It sure is, but I've always been doing cooler water changes for the last 6 months or so.  I  think them reaching maturity takes a bit of time! 

Btw, I sadly haven't seen the eggs on the glass again in the morning. My only hope seems to be the well hidden ones in the mosses. 

I'm not sure if my borneo sucker ate them from the glass. She is my number one suspect. 😒

Hmm…shrimp tend to be opportunistic egg-eaters in my experience; do you have any?? 

On 1/29/2023 at 7:43 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Hmm…shrimp tend to be opportunistic egg-eaters in my experience; do you have any?? 

Many!🦐

Also three types of different snails. MTS/Nerite/Rabbits. Rabbits never really climb around tho. They just stole plecos home, they just go around, eat on the ground and sleep.

Either shrimps, tetras, or MTS then. I saw MTS moving around it before. Also lots of people mentioned about snails and egg eating behavior before in another topic

On 1/29/2023 at 7:49 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Maybe try setting up a breeding tank? Plastic Tubs usually work fine once rinsed…

I have a 45L tub set up cycled, sitting in my room corner with lots of salvinia and elodea in it.

But I would love to have like only 1-2 to join my school, I don't know what I would do with the rest. I will just let them be in the community I guess. Any potential surviving ones will be welcomed!

As much as I love my sterbai corys, I don't think I can introduce them to my new tank, as they get big and chunky, and would mess the aquasoil all around, pretty sure. If it was the pygmys, then I could easily home many of them

I need some gentler clean up crew for my new tank. Sterbais ain't it. 😄

On 1/29/2023 at 8:52 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Habrosus? I used to keep some with a betta, and they were best mates! 

Never seen them in my lfs before 😞

They have pgymys, orange venezuelas, albinos, bronze, paleatus, juliis, napoensis and pandas from corys.

Other than corys:

ottos, kuhlis, snails, SAE, garras, borneos, banjo catfish, clown pleco and bristlenose!😄

If I don't go for angels, which I probably won't, I may put my pygmys to new tank and increase their school size maybe! 

Planning to try some new fish, like garras or clown pleco maybe. In addition to neocaridinas and snails! Maybe one borneo again as an addition

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 1