Help translate Fluval Ca test results

I read somewhere that fluval Ca tests may register results for freshwater.  I got a color change so I think it worked!  However, the units of measurement fluval uses is mg/L, and I only understand PPM.  Is there a way to convert mg/L into ppm?  I tried a Google search but I'm getting conflicting info, plus I don't quite grasp what I'm doing. 😁

The results of my test:

After adding #2 reagent the water turned hot pink.  After adding one drop of the last reagent, #3, the water color did not change.  After adding the second drop of reagent #3 the water turned purple.  The instructions say to multiply the number of #3 drops by 20mg/L.  So I have 40mg of Ca in 340 Liters.  What's that in ppm?

(I added the "hot pink" distinction because the provided color chart shows a pastel pink. Because of the hot pink I'm thinking a multiplier of 1.5 may be more accurate? )

Help! 😱

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 4:43 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Mg/L is also ppm.

Well, that was easy.  So I have 40, maybe 30ppm of Ca...

The last time I tested GH, 4 days ago, I had 7dGH.  I add 3dGH of CaSO4.2H2O and 1dGH MgSO4.7H2O in a 3:1 ratio of Ca:Mg to rodi.  So, that must mean there is something leeching Mg in the water, or I'm doing something wrong...

I'm gonna do a GH test now!

On 1/13/2023 at 6:22 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

You should use the ppm to calculate the ratio.  ?ppm of Ca=?dGH, ?ppm of Mg=?dGH then add those degrees for total GH. So, 21ppm Ca and 7ppm Mg is a 3:1 (just an example).

Oh, crap! You're right, I forgot!   I was just going over my old remin numbers and was confused as to why they didnt match what i just posted.  Sorry!

My old Ca:Mg numbers, what I've been using, are total 4dGH & the ratio is 3:1ppm.

Ugh, now I have to start over.

I'm starting to understand.  These numbers match the fluval test when considering something is definitely leeching into my tank.  Increasing the Ca ppm to 30-40 would explain the extra dGH.  GH & KH are both going up 2 degrees over what I dose, so it may be CaCO3 leeching because it increases GH & KH equally. 

I use a digital scale that measures to the hundredths.

I think I'll increase the GH I dose by 1 degree and see if the GH goes higher than 7dGH, or if 7dGH is some kind of equilibrium for whatever is leeching.  I dont know if that will work, but I guess I'll try.

Edited by PerceptivePesce
  • Like 1