Amano shrimp

TomO

My Amano shrimp are about 3 years old and are attacking any new fish I put in my tank. I recently put a baby polar parrotfish in my 29 gallon platty tank to help him grow out before going in my angel tank. Every shrimp (5) attacked him. Should I move the shrimp to my 55 gallon angel fish tank?

• Confused 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, TomO said:

My Amano shrimp are about 3 years old and are attacking any new fish I put in my tank. I recently put a baby polar parrotfish in my 29 gallon platty tank to help him grow out before going in my angel tank. Every shrimp (5) attacked him. Should I move the shrimp to my 55 gallon angel fish tank?

When you say "attacking" what does that mean exactly?  Were the amano shrimp darting around and ran into the fish or were they trying to clean the fish or?  Keep in mind, angels eat shrimp so it might be a defensive reaction or something?  Even then, I think they tend to run / hide as opposed to attack.  I would move the parrotfish as opposed to the amanos, but lets dig into what's going on.

Please attach a photo of the tank if you can.

Maybe post a picture of your shrimp so we can confirm that they are actually amano shrimp. Some species of shrimp could be mistaken for them and actually be quite aggressive. I have many many amano shrimp and the closest they've come to this sort of behavior is when they try to snatch food away from other fish. I second the comment to target feed them. Twice a week I drop shrimp/snail food for them and the rest of the time I let them scavenge on uneaten fish food and of course algae.