What are these thin white lines growing in my tank?

TimmG

Hello All. I have posted here before about a year or so ago when I was new to having an aquarium and I had a lot of questions. After I got my tank cycled correctly everything was fine. I was even following the no water changes philosophy just topping off. Any who everything was great, until I saw these long thin white lines in my tank coming out of the gravel. I don't believe they are worms or any creature. I think its a plant of some kind. I just know I didn't plant them, and they didn't show up until recently. Does anyone have any ideas as to what they are? And if it should be removed from the tank? I know they are hard to see in the picture, but there is a group if 4-5 in the back corner, and you can see more in the foreground. You can clearly see one going in front of the shark head, and others in front of the green plant. Thanks for your time. 

655515283_Thinwhitelines.jpg.813f2260cfa4795abc4b25db141162bc.jpg

On 1/13/2023 at 1:40 PM, Theplatymaster said:

i think it is hair algae

Thanks for the response. I looked up images of hair algae in aquariums and it looks to be much thinner and finer than what I am experiencing. What I seem to have is multiple singular growing strands of something. 

On 1/13/2023 at 1:38 PM, BettaFishCO said:

Is it Planaria? 

I believe planaria is a type of worm. And they move around the tank. Not stay rooted in one place growing like a plant. Thanks for the idea though. 

On 1/13/2023 at 2:04 PM, Lennie said:

Maybe hydras? They don't seem to have tentacle looking heads fom the pic and it is hard to see anything clearly as you have mentioned. Interesting

They look like singular strands. Its gotta be a plant of some kind. I just don't know what kind, and why it would be growing now over a year later. 

I have no idea other than a human hair (which seems unlikely because they do look like they’re growing there).  I sure would like to get a couple under a microscope. Maybe you could find a friendly science instructor and borrow a microscope for a few minutes between classes?

If you can borrow a microscope you can take pics through the lens with your phone. Sometimes using a short tube (I take scope pics through the center of a medical tape roll) can help steady the phone and help it focus better.  Then post pics here and we might be able to help. 

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1