Celestial Pearl Danio price

Up North

Went to the LFS to get a small school of celestial pear danios yesterday and was surprised by the price of these little fish.  They were 8.99 a piece.  To my understanding these are easy fish to breed and thought that would make them a little cheaper.  What are they going for in your area?  I'm in Minnesota

thanks

I think I paid $30 for 8 from Aqua Huna, but $13 for shipping too.  One didn't make it alive, another had swim bladder problem and died a week or so later, and one was a furcata rainbow.  So I ended up with five for $43... so basically what you're seeing.  🙂  They're pretty little fish, timid though.  I ended up with 4 males and 1 female by the looks of it.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 8:51 AM, jwcarlson said:

one was a furcata rainbow.

Lol that's an odd mistake. 

On 1/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, Up North said:

Went to the LFS to get a small school of celestial pear danios yesterday and was surprised by the price of these little fish.  They were 8.99 a piece.  To my understanding these are easy fish to breed and thought that would make them a little cheaper.  What are they going for in your area?  I'm in Minnesota

thanks

I'm in southern MN and that's about the price here too

On 1/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, FLFishChik said:

My Local BB store now has Cherry Shrimp listed at $8.99 each. I was shocked. Everything is getting expensive 

My LFS has cherry shrimp at $11 each. A year and a half ago I got my 2 long fin panda cory breeders from them for $19 each. I agree it shocks me tbh. Idk what they charge now for LF panda cories but I assume more since everything has gone up since then. 

On 1/13/2023 at 6:19 PM, Up North said:

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and pay the high price.  Online purchase is out of the question when it's winter and you live in Minnesota 

I feel this. I've made and deleted so many carts in the past 2 months. Sigh. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:36 AM, Cinnebuns said:

My LFS has cherry shrimp at $11 each. A year and a half ago I got my 2 long fin panda cory breeders from them for $19 each. I agree it shocks me tbh. Idk what they charge now for LF panda cories but I assume more since everything has gone up since then. 

I am shocked reading you guys talking about the shrimp prices. How come they are this pricey considering they are super easy to breed? Are they rare in your area?

I think popularity is affecting price. 

CPD's do seem very expensive here as well but I can't remember the price last time I spotted some but they where more than I would want to pay to get a school together. The wholesalers probably start upping the costs based on demand. 

Shrimp have crazy pricing that I blame on lockdown aquascpers  even eBay is asking around £5 a shrimp. 

• Like 2

$11 is steep for cherry shrimp.

They are incredibly popular here on the west coast and many stores have adopted the grading system. I got mine for $1 a piece due to low grade but yes high grade shrimp are between $10-15.

I digress I have been in the hobby for awhile now and the lowest I saw CPD in store was $4 a piece and the highest was when they first came to popularity at $12 a piece.

The several LFS I have visited in the last six months, have had them ranging from $7-10 each. I'm good friends with the guy who owns one of the stores and he told me that they usually get shipped pretty small and don't do good with shipping, there are usually several DOA in the bag and then loses some during quarantine. 

As for shrimp prices, I have seen cherry shrimp for anything from $2-8 each in an LFS. At my clubs monthly auctions they usually go for around a buck a shrimp. 

On 1/13/2023 at 3:46 PM, Up North said:

thanks

If you think that’s bad:

This is in Australia 🇦🇺!

0000DDAF-FF15-4857-9CE0-1D10ECA44FB6.png

Couple days ago I visited my lfs to get some driftwood and rocks. Thought of this topic to check cpd prices.

It was $2.60 each. But they were pretty expensive once converted to my currency, especially for a schooling nano fish and you have to get around 10 or so. 

On 1/13/2023 at 4:19 PM, Up North said:

I guess I just need to bite the bullet and pay the high price.  Online purchase is out of the question when it's winter and you live in Minnesota 

I've been wondering about this, it seems the videos I've watched about them all refer to them as expensive. I plan on stocking my 14 gallon with a school of 8 or maybe 10 when I set it up and I've been worrying about the expense. Aqua Huna is not an option for me because I live too close to them, they won't sell to local residents. I don't know what Aquarium Coop sells them for, but hoping to get mine there when I'm ready.

My CPDs got delivered today!!! I never thought buying fish online and having them delivered to Minnesota in the winter would be an option but Aqua Huna made it happen.  I contacted them and they said they will watch the weather and ship when they have a good window.  All my celestial pear danios, cherry shrimp and pea puffers arrived alive and looking healthy.   Great first experience with aqua huna.  

• Like 3

On 1/21/2023 at 7:02 PM, Up North said:

My CPDs got delivered today!!! I never thought buying fish online and having them delivered to Minnesota in the winter would be an option but Aqua Huna made it happen.  I contacted them and they said they will watch the weather and ship when they have a good window.  All my celestial pear danios, cherry shrimp and pea puffers arrived alive and looking healthy.   Great first experience with aqua huna.  

I would like to see a picture of them @Up North to get an idea of size and coloration.  I am thinking about getting some of these for my 20gL.

Edited by Xr4tiCrew