Mold on alder cones?

smm333

I have alder cones in my shrimp tank. Most have that slime coating which I believe is normal and safe. One set though looks like it has mold. Has anyone seen anything like this? I removed them from the tank. I boiled them all before adding them to the tank, so it seems weird. 

20230112_205535.jpg

On 1/12/2023 at 10:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Staghorn algae?

From what I've seen, staghorn algae looks kind of like moss. This looks almost like fiber optic lights- long straight tiny lines with dots at the ends. Looks like something you'd find on a mushroom in the woods!

This is what I know as staghorn.

image.png.a6d48dc9a18c85efd7529779e518c7c7.png

On 1/12/2023 at 10:48 PM, smm333 said:

This looks almost like fiber optic lights- long straight tiny lines with dots at the ends. Looks like something you'd find on a mushroom in the woods!

very weird.  I would try a dip in something, maybe H202 just to see what that does to it.  It won't harm the fish at all and you can put it back in the tank.

On 1/12/2023 at 11:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

This is what I know as staghorn.

image.png.a6d48dc9a18c85efd7529779e518c7c7.png

very weird.  I would try a dip in something, maybe H202 just to see what that does to it.  It won't harm the fish at all and you can put it back in the tank.

I put one in a bowl with H2O2 just out of curiosity. It didn't go away, just bubbled away. I have a couple other groups of cones in the tank, so no big loss to toss these ones. I was just intrigued by it and thought someone might have an idea of what it might be. I'm taking no chances with my shrimp! I've put a lot of effort into the perfect shrimp habitat!

On 1/13/2023 at 12:29 PM, smm333 said:

I put one in a bowl with H2O2 just out of curiosity. It didn't go away, just bubbled away. I have a couple other groups of cones in the tank, so no big loss to toss these ones. I was just intrigued by it and thought someone might have an idea of what it might be. I'm taking no chances with my shrimp! I've put a lot of effort into the perfect shrimp habitat!

Very true.  I vote it's staghorn, but it could be a fungus of some kind.  I would assume the shrimp eat it, but doesn't look like it.  Try to boil, then soak, see if any others in your pack have similar issues.