White fuzz and lesions - Will this Rasbora make it?

Jaspyjasp

Hi community,

My porkchop rasbora had some white fuzz and lesions. He’s been in QT for 1.5 weeks. Dosed maracyn and then Sulfaplex (bc I ran out of maracyn). He seemed to get over a hump, but he hasnt been eating and still breathing very fast - and hard to tell if it’s coming back? Also looks like there’s healed areas and then maybe new patches?Swimming okay tho.

Advice on whether you think he will make it, or is he suffering a slow death and should I put him down? 

Thank you for any insight. Looks like i cant put up videos so heres some photos.

thank you!

jaspyjaspy

4F0A250D-8ABA-4D2D-AE46-0DF56159F610.jpeg

B71DD3B4-E257-4FEF-B7FA-BB9CC7035446.jpeg

8E48744A-FE55-4338-80C2-38C9CF9C4013.jpeg

B7242F9F-E4BF-4E3D-9A95-8FA1AB7D0AC8.jpeg

Edited by Jaspyjasp

What I would do is add an extra air stone and treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons  that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes and I would also treat with kanaplex it's a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment it treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria @Jaspyjasp

Thank you @Colu! I’m going to do a water change soon for the poor little guy. 

Does that mean for a 10gallon you would add 5Tablespoons of salt? Just want to be sure. 

Wish this guy would eat…its been days! When animals don’t eat it’s such a bad sign 😭

thank you!

steph

On 1/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

Thank you @Colu! I’m going to do a water change soon for the poor little guy. 

Does that mean for a 10gallon you would add 5Tablespoons of salt? Just want to be sure. 

Wish this guy would eat…its been days! When animals don’t eat it’s such a bad sign 😭

thank you!

steph

Yes 5 table spoons of salt 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @Colu

Thought I should move my question back to my original thread. Ultimately the rasbora died, sadly.

But now I am seeing this patch on my panda garra - and I have been feeding him (and the tank) Kanaplex for the last 3-4 days. Does this look like anything dangerous? I thought it might be a scratch, but decided to medicate just in case since the rasbora had lived in this tank. I also dosed paracleanse (seems silly now but i panicked).

I got some Jungle Fungus clear fizz tabs. Should I add it to the tank as precautionary? Do i wait till paracleanse is done (its just one more day), or should I dose? I will continue feeding kanaplex.

here is a pic of the garra. He’s my favorite so i’m more worried. The top picture is the most recent. He is robust and eating otherwise.

THANK YOU for any insight you can give.

4A97BA15-DCA4-44A5-86C4-ADE38DB95B48.jpeg

It's difficult to tell it could be an injury or something else could be going I would stop treating with paracleanse and what I would do is monitor for next couple of days if it were columnaris you would notice it spread very quickly  if the patch starts to get bigger or it develops white patch around the mouth then I would treat him with kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan @Jaspyjasp

IMG_20230115_235240.jpg

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2

@Colu

🙏🙏🙏

ok thank you! Yes I only did one treatment of paracleanse and will do a water change tonight. It really is hard to tell what that is but at least its not raised or fuzzy so far 🤞 

i’ll monitor and continue feeding him kanaplex frozen since I still have some for the next few days. Probably doesnt hurt.

thank you for your insight and reply!!

On 2/9/2023 at 12:16 AM, Jaspyjasp said:

@Colu

🙏🙏🙏

ok thank you! Yes I only did one treatment of paracleanse and will do a water change tonight. It really is hard to tell what that is but at least its not raised or fuzzy so far 🤞 

i’ll monitor and continue feeding him kanaplex frozen since I still have some for the next few days. Probably doesnt hurt.

Kanaplex isn't well adsorbed thought the intestinal tract as your treating something external you would be better off dosing the tank 

• Like 1

@Colu oh!!! My LFS said it’s better for them to eat it, but I appreciate your insight and will take note. I’ll observe for now and see how he is these next couple days. I did a big water change today too.

I have your recommended meds on hand and the recipes. I‘m ready to dose of i see anything worse.  He seems fine despite that mark, but who knows. At least its not fuzzy or red, hopefully it’s  healing. Thank you so much and I’ll keep you posted! 🙏🙏🙏

@Colu

One more question if I may? What if it’s not columnaris and that white patch is still there in a few days? Should I do the jungle fizz tabs on their own , or is there a different broad recipe for general fungus/bacteria?

thank you!

jaspyjasp

———-

🙏🙏🙏

If it's not columnaris and the patch hasn't gotten any bigger and  in a few days I would just continue to monitor it's more than likely an injury and given time will heal on its own you could add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect @Jaspyjasp

Edited by Colu
Stupid autocorrect

On 2/9/2023 at 12:24 PM, Colu said:

If it's not columnaris and the patch hasn't gotten any bigger and  is their in a few days I would just continue to monitor it's more than likely an injury and given time will heal on its own you could add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties depending on the quality of the leaves you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect @Jaspyjasp

Ah thank you!!!! 🙏🙏🙏  that all sounds great 😊 

whoa, 1 almond leaf per gallon?? And theyre so huge 🤣 I have a couple in there now, i can throw in more.

thank you so much!!

@Colu

update - panda garra is looking sooo much better! Thank you so much for your advice and support ❤️The indian almond leaves have prob helped a lot.  Talking with you and being prepared with solutions really helped me feel less anxious about the situation! THANK YOU!

——////

@Colu some updated pics :))

39D63185-7F79-42B9-B71B-E6286C180528.jpeg

7E7E985D-4DE5-4940-8382-3DEA0C423EB2.jpeg

Edited by Jaspyjasp
  • Like 1