guppy/fish stocking question

SC Fish

hey guys, so in hopefully a week or just over i will have the 4 small guppies in a 5 gallon separated from the fish in the 20 (btw they killed another of the big guppies) . but once they are out ill only have 1 big guppy , 2 platys and 7 neon tetras. will the guppy be ok without other guppys? because i dont want to risk adding more that will eb aggressive again. im sort of done with guppies honestly

Hi SC, I would, put the last big guppy in with the others and call it done .Guppies don't have big bioloads so it will be fine. I understand your frustration with them. I'm having a couple of issues with Guppies myself right now but it's more caused by other fish than by the other Guppies- so all of mine have been separated out as well from general population. I have decided in the future I will focus on short finned Guppies as they seem to have less issue, can be faster and don't get the tail damage big finned Guppies do. 

• Love 1

On 1/11/2023 at 5:59 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi SC, I would, put the last big guppy in with the others and call it done .Guppies don't have big bioloads so it will be fine. I understand your frustration with them. I'm having a couple of issues with Guppies myself right now but it's more caused by other fish than by the other Guppies- so all of mine have been separated out as well from general population. I have decided in the future I will focus on short finned Guppies as they seem to have less issue, can be faster and don't get the tail damage big finned Guppies do. 

no can do. the big guppies have been the victims of the smaller guppies. putting them in with them will be very bad.

these 4 small guppies are absalute nightmares, ive lost 2 fish to them and have had to give 2 away that where on the verge of death (dramatic ik)

appreciate the comment tho

Edited by SC Fish
  • Like 1

I dont know the entire back story but i have some questions about the 4 before answering. 

How many males and how many females?  I ask because if it's all males it MIGHT work but probably won't. Especially considering it sounds like they are the aggressors in the current tank.  If it is 3 females and 1 male, or even 2m 2f, it will work short term. Ofc before they fill it with babies lol. 

It sounds like you have a good gasp on some of these points but I want to add this just in case. Too much info is better than not enough!  I talk about all male groups so much on Facebook that it's a copy paste I have lol. I'm not saying it won't work if they are all males, it very well could, but just keeping you aware of the factors. 

Here's the copy paste about all male groups:

All male groups do work but only under specific conditions. Of course, as always, each fish's personality is different and therefore each situation is unique. 

1. A group of 6 or more - This is to spread out aggression. You cannot eliminate aggression but you can help increase the odds that they won't all pick on one over and over. 

2. Give them enough space - A crowded, overstocked tank will stress them out and cause them to fight more. Make sure there is moving room for them. A 10 gallon is a suggested minimum for a group of males. 

3. Providing hiding places and breaking line of sight - If a fish is being chased it helps him get away if he can break his pursuers line of sight. It also helps to have hiding places to get away. Decor and plants, either live or fake, can be an excellent choice for this. 

4. Watch for signs of excessive bullying and aggression - sometimes you just have one jerk who ruins it for everyone. If you notice something is off, observe them for awhile. Once you have identified who the aggressive one is, seperate him from the group for awhile. You may try to reintroduce him later. Be aware you may have to remove him several times before he gets his act together. 

Things to watch for in a male guppy group:

- In all guppies black eyes can be a sign of stress 

- Males tend to pick on the pretty, long tailed, and flamboyant males

- Constant hiding

- Shredding of tails (could also be fin rot)

- More aggressive fighting. 

- One male getting the brunt of the aggression or one male doing most of the aggression.

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 1/11/2023 at 6:09 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Ahhh, i thought you removed them to make them safe! I get it! Then yes, the last guppy will be fine as long as they aren't getting bullied. 

my platies are gentle giants so itll be all good i think

On 1/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, Darax said:

If the big guppy is female you will have little guppies again. 

ive never had little guppies, the small guppies. are small guppies not babys. and no they are all male

On 1/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, Cinnebuns said:

I dont know the entire back story but i have some questions about the 4 before answering. 

How many males and how many females?  I ask because if it's all males it MIGHT work but probably won't. Especially considering it sounds like they are the aggressors in the current tank.  If it is 3 females and 1 male, or even 2m 2f, it will work short term. Ofc before they fill it with babies lol. 

It sounds like you have a good gasp on some of these points but I want to add this just in case. Too much info is better than not enough!  I talk about all male groups so much on Facebook that it's a copy paste I have lol. I'm not saying it won't work if they are all males, it very well could, but just keeping you aware of the factors. 

Here's the copy paste about all male groups:

All male groups do work but only under specific conditions. Of course, as always, each fish's personality is different and therefore each situation is unique. 

1. A group of 6 or more - This is to spread out aggression. You cannot eliminate aggression but you can help increase the odds that they won't all pick on one over and over. 

2. Give them enough space - A crowded, overstocked tank will stress them out and cause them to fight more. Make sure there is moving room for them. A 10 gallon is a suggested minimum for a group of males. 

3. Providing hiding places and breaking line of sight - If a fish is being chased it helps him get away if he can break his pursuers line of sight. It also helps to have hiding places to get away. Decor and plants, either live or fake, can be an excellent choice for this. 

4. Watch for signs of excessive bullying and aggression - sometimes you just have one jerk who ruins it for everyone. If you notice something is off, observe them for awhile. Once you have identified who the aggressive one is, seperate him from the group for awhile. You may try to reintroduce him later. Be aware you may have to remove him several times before he gets his act together. 

Things to watch for in a male guppy group:

- In all guppies black eyes can be a sign of stress 

- Males tend to pick on the pretty, long tailed, and flamboyant males

- Constant hiding

- Shredding of tails (could also be fin rot)

- More aggressive fighting. 

- One male getting the brunt of the aggression or one male doing most of the aggression.

all are males, i dont want breeding

i had originally 10 guppies all males but 2 where almost dead so i gave them to a friend of mine and 2 died because of these 4 so i have 5 left, soon just 1 in the 20. 

there are in total 14 fish in a 20 gallon as we speak

there are many plants in the back and foreground

these 4 beat the hell out of the larger guppies, hints why there ius only 1 large one left

i believe i hit every point 🙂

Edited by SC Fish