Grape Leaves in the Substrate

Pookieq

Hey y’all,

So I finally set my 75 gallon up. However, I only did so after working three nights in a row when I had expected at least a day off, so I wasn’t super clear in my thinking. 
Having heard that grape leaves are high iron and therefore beneficial to crypts in particular I decided to add a layer of them to my substrate.
I did not have a clear direction in how I wanted to plant the tank, so I just spread them across the entire bottom. 
My chief question is whether anyone else out there has any experience using grape leaves, not dried but from a grocery store, in their substrate?

And second, what does everyone think will happen? I had a moment when I was about half finished planting, that maybe it wasn’t wise to have a layer of decaying plant matter sitting between my aqua soil in media bags and my upper gravel layer. Should I just rip them out now or ride it out and find out what happens?

Thanks!

C52964F2-917A-4F18-BA82-62469C7DE341.jpeg

891D4A3B-8ECE-4EC4-B38D-E82C1B39C7AD.jpeg

C0175D7D-9EDE-4D3E-AD5D-59954B7CD7F0.jpeg

A26FBD9B-C68F-4B4E-A85A-0C5400078AB6.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, Pookieq said:

My chief question is whether anyone else out there has any experience using grape leaves, not dried but from a grocery store, in their substrate?

Hello, welcome to the forums. 

I do think pecktec might have a video on it.  I haven't heard about that technique from anyone else.

• Like 1

I suppose it's like doing a layer of compost but it will take a bit longer to be available to the plants. 

Du those media bags contain inert media or something more soily?

Cycle might do some strange things as they break down but I've no experience with adding organic matter to substrates I can't see it being harmful as long as you can keep an eye on things.

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 actually I recall coming across it in a Bentley Pascoe vid. I don’t remember if it was part of the whole substrate series or a species special or even something else entirely. But I can definitely say that he inspired the idea. 

@Flumpweesel the media bags are filled with a mixture of mostly stratum with some red flourite at a very roughly eyeballed ratio of 4:1. 
I imagine I’m going to see some pretty odd things go on with the chemistry as this progresses. 

DA6EF56A-2D60-43F3-B0F6-5D87D3B4694F.jpeg

• Like 1

By my very basic understanding those substrates can absorb nutrients rather than throw more out so the leaves are the main the nutrient source so I think it will ok but as I said take your time with it and keep an eye on it.  

I was slightly worried you had put compost in those bags which could have made things a bit rich