Bichir belly slightly enlarged

SuzanM

Hello all. It has been a long time since I have posted anything. I am thankful my tanks are all running well. My Angel fish are HUGE.  I do have a question and I am not sure which topic it should be under so I will start here.  My veterinarian has a Senegal Bichir in their tank. The fish has been there approx. 4 years and is about 9-10 inches long.  Quick history I worked for my vet for 17 years and used to take care of this tank (a 40 gallon breeder) and a previous technician that left the clinic just dropped this bichir in the tank approx 4 years ago.  Thankfully the fish has been fine ( I did have to bring the platys and mollies home though) the other day I got a text that the bichir appears slightly bloated.  I have pictures but for some reason have been unable to upload them for you all to see.  I will keep working on that matter.  Anyway does anyone have any experience with these guys.  My first advice to them was to withhold food just in case the bichir just ate too much.  I did go see the fish and it is not grossly bloated like a fish would be with dropsy.  Honestly just looks full.  I know this is not a lot to go on but would appreciate any input. As I indicated I will work to figure out how to get pictures to you all.  Thank you so much for any input. 

Suzan

Some more information would be helpful what are your water parameters ammonia nitrite nitrate etc is eating ok what are you feeding and how often any rapid breathing listlessness added any  new fish to the tank recently  @SuzanM

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

no new fish added. They are feeding Hikari carnivore bites daily along with Omega One freshwater flakes for the other fish and bloodworms once a week. I tested parameters yesterday and Ammonia 0. Nitrites 0 and yes Nitrates 0 PH 7.2. No rapid breathing. There was a fish death a Pearl Gourami that was truly old. I asked them condition of fish when it died. There are only two other fish in the tank another pearl gourami and 1 Rainbow fish both have been in tank for 5-6 years. The bichir was the last new introduction approx 4 yrs ago. When I was caring for tank I did 30-40 percent water changes every two weeks. Last water change was two weeks ago. I am going to clinic tomorrow to help with another water change. vacuuming too

oh and thank you for responding

@SuzanM I’ve kept bichirs before and fed those exact pellets. I also started to notice first signs of bloat. So what I did is, I dropped as many pellets as needed in a coffee mug with aquarium water for about 5-7 mins or so. Just enough to fluff the pellet up. Then I toss the contents of the mug in. Basically the pellet is given the opportunity to swell with water before doing so in the belly of a fish. I’m no expert, but I think this would be an excellent start. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 8:49 PM, SuzanM said:

I asked the staff and no one has noticed any listlessness or rapid breathing. Thank you 

There's a couple of thing it could be constipation or if it's a female could be full of eggs  as you have fasted what I would do is Epsom salt baths 1 table for 2 gallons for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help with constipation or egg retention I would also recommend adding  shrimp and  pieces of fish  to it's diet 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1