Urgent: New Plants arrived today New Tank still has ammonia

evonner

I'm cycling a new 29 gallon tank. My new plants arrived today and need to be planted. But I'm not completely cycled yet. I do have back-up tanks, if necessary to temporarily plant or float, but there permanent home is to be in the 29 gallon tank. I'm watching Cory's video on "Cycling a planted tank".

My substrate is stratum and eco-complete spread in areas of what plants need each substrate. I set the tank up on 1/6/23.  I used some cycled media in my filter and a cycled sponge filter. I added almost a full bottle of Fritz Zyme 7

I tested on 1/7/23: 

Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, pH 7.0, dGH 10, dKH 6.  I added Fritz Fishless Fuel to see how fast is would process. I brought the ammonia up to 2ppm. 

I tested on 1/8/23:

Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20, pH 7.4.

I tested today (1/9/23):

Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20.

My ammonia level that I spiked to 2ppm's came down to 1ppm in 24 hours. 

The plants that need to be planted are: 1) Cryptocoryne Tropica 2) Cyptocoryne Wendtii Red 3) Scarlet Temple 4) Red Dwarf Lily  5) Red Flame Sword and 6) Java Moss.

Is my ammonia too high to plant them? 

Should I plant them in one of my other tanks temporarily? 

Thank you. Cory says the same thing. Some of the crap online say it will kill them but that is one of many benefit of having a planted tank. I just wasn't sure if 1ppm was too high. I know the ammonia will continue to drop as nitrate is present. Aquarium Co-op is too efficient in super fast shipping, LOL.

Ok, nabokovfan87 I will do that as you are correct it will dilute the ammonia. I thought about that and my only concern is how my nitrate level will hold up but I can steal more cycled media from my other tanks if necessary.  I posted this post in two different areas in the forum and on the other thread, I was told to keep my light intensity low, do a water change if I hit 2ppm ammonia but that wont happen as there is no livestock and I induced the ammonia spike and came down 1ppm in 24 hours, he also said to fertilize immediately but at 50% dosage.  I have Easy Green liquid and root tabs but I am not going root tabs as I have a bottom layer of stratum and layered that stratum and eco-complete differently in the aquarium for where each plant will go and its substrate/fertilizer requirements. I will dose the liquid easy green though for the water feeders.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 8:42 PM, evonner said:

Ok, nabokovfan87 I will do that as you are correct it will dilute the ammonia. I thought about that and my only concern is how my nitrate level will hold up but I can steal more cycled media from my other tanks if necessary.  I posted this post in two different areas in the forum and on the other thread, I was told to keep my light intensity low, do a water change if I hit 2ppm ammonia but that wont happen as there is no livestock

No livestock eh? What would cause the ammonia then, new substrate?

For the first week of plants it's generally common to lightly dose and to slowly add in ferts after the plants have had time to acclimate and adapt.

Essentially, you get the plants in, keep everything normal, add in root tabs and maybe a light dose, then after 7-10 days go ahead and start with normal dosing week to week.

As mentioned, no livestock in the tank, so there's really no reason to have or keep nitrates in there apart from specifically dosing in for plants.  That being said, clearing things out and dosing in new ferts is normal and wouldn't hurt anything at all.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

No livestock eh? What would cause the ammonia then, new substrate?

@evonner test your source / tap water for ammonia. Some water sources have ammonia adding in at the outset. It may be that every time you add water, you're unintentionally reboosting your ammonia. 

In my post I said that I just set up a new 29 gallon tank. My substrate is stratum and eco-compete. There is a reason that I am utilizing the two substrates. Stratum initially gives off ammonia but lower pH.  I also, used cycled some cycled media from other tanks and added almost a full bottle of Fritz Zyme 7 beneficial bacteria. That is why 24 hours after I set up everything, I had a .25 reading on ammonia. That is very normal. I also had a nitrate reading of 20 ppm. 

The next 24 hours later, I hit my tank with Fritz Zyme Fishless Fuel (ammonia) to test how my nitrates would process the ammonia. I dosed the ammonia to 2 ppm.

The next 24 hours later, I tested. My ammonia had dropped to 1 ppm. That lets me know that my beneficial bacteria is working.

The next 24 hours after that, my ammonia levels were still at 1 ppm and my new plants arrived sooner than I expected. 

The above is one type of fishless cycling. I will add fish when the cycle completes.  I am less than a week away from that point. I have cycled this way before and its very affective but never with any livestock of any kind in the tank, that is why I was concerned about added the plants this soon.

I test my tap water regularly, ammonia has never been in my tap water. The ammonia is a normal process when you use Fishless Fuel (ammonia) to fast cycle. I hope this clears up some confusion on why I have ammonia in my new tank.

Most plants should be fine at that level, although some mosses or extra sensitive plants may not be.  With a 50% water change, you should be completely fine, even for mosses, if you have other plants that will eat that ammonia for you.  You could always do some reverse respiration treatments on your plants and give your biofiltration more time to bring down the ammonia more.  If you’re already dropping from 2.0 to 1.0 in 24 hours, you’re right on the verge of fully cycled anyway.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:02 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Drain the tank halfway or further to plant.  You'll dilute the ammonia. 

If you're concerned about lingering ammonia we can look at your filtration setup and verify a few things.

Let us see the tank when you're done!

I assume you meant to then re-fill it with fresh water?  I'm asking because just draining it down halfway won't dilute the ammonia.  It will still be the same concentration.

In any case, I agree with the replies above about adding the plants without worrying about the ammonia.

• Like 1