Question about moving various Tetras into one tank with German Blue Rams

evilgenius

I've just put together a new 75g aquarium and I'm hoping I can put fish in by this next weekend. I want to move some fish around from other aquariums but I need reassurance I'm doing this correctly and the fish will be good.

I have the new 75g heater set at 82F. I primarily want to move a pair of German Blue Rams and a dozen Red Eyed Tetra over. That should be fine as they are currently in the same tank. In another tank I have 6 X-Ray Tetra and 8 Rummy Nose Tetra I'd like to move in as well. Will that be okay with the higher water temp? How about another 5 Ember Tetra?

Thanks!

image.jpeg.6aa2f3aff6d27bc0bf7ec54f1a3e2996.jpeg

• Love 1

On 1/9/2023 at 7:21 AM, evilgenius said:

I've just put together a new 75g aquarium and I'm hoping I can put fish in by this next weekend. I want to move some fish around from other aquariums but I need reassurance I'm doing this correctly and the fish will be good.

I have the new 75g heater set at 82F. I primarily want to move a pair of German Blue Rams and a dozen Red Eyed Tetra over. That should be fine as they are currently in the same tank. In another tank I have 6 X-Ray Tetra and 8 Rummy Nose Tetra I'd like to move in as well. Will that be okay with the higher water temp? How about another 5 Ember Tetra?

Thanks!

image.jpeg.6aa2f3aff6d27bc0bf7ec54f1a3e2996.jpeg

Rummy and xray should be fine ember tetras would not do well cause they like high 70s and would be pushing it for 82.

• Like 1

@evilgenius If it were me, I’d focus on getting a larger school of the 2 types of tetra that will thrive at a higher temp. I’d bump it up to 12-15 of the rummynose and at least a dozen X-rays. Or you can just bump up the rummy’s to 20 or so and enjoy one of the best schooling behaviors in an aquarium. In a 75, you have plenty of room. The behaviors you begin seeing when there is at least a dozen of said fish is unmatched and cannot be viewed when there are less than. Hope this helps. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 2:47 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

That's interesting since I've done research before on Ember Tetras and lots of sites say up to 84 for Embers (I was planning them for an 80-82 degree Betta tank. I do have them in an unheated that that gets to 82 in the summer and they have always done fine.)

Its mixed answers from what I have seen and how I had some in the past, I believe a better alternative would be green neon tetras which can handle hotter temps.

On 1/9/2023 at 2:45 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

@evilgenius If it were me, I’d focus on getting a larger school of the 2 types of tetra that will thrive at a higher temp. I’d bump it up to 12-15 of the rummynose and at least a dozen X-rays. Or you can just bump up the rummy’s to 20 or so and enjoy one of the best schooling behaviors in an aquarium. In a 75, you have plenty of room. The behaviors you begin seeing when there is at least a dozen of said fish is unmatched and cannot be viewed when there are less than. Hope this helps. 

I agree with this, a lot of swim space for the tetras and schooling wouuld be great, in my opinion you should try adding another pair of rams @evilgenius

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 4:45 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

I cleaned out the store at the time. If I run across others locally I fully intend to grab them. If not I’ll find a place to order more in the spring.

On 1/9/2023 at 6:53 PM, evilgenius said:

I cleaned out the store at the time. If I run across others locally I fully intend to grab them. If not I’ll find a place to order more in the spring.

At my LFS, you can special order fish in and then pick them up when they arrive. Yours might do the same.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i thought rams needed 84-86?

I'm told they do better in warmer water. Dean breeds these at 86.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:34 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

At my LFS, you can special order fish in and then pick them up when they arrive. Yours might do the same.

My LFS will let you know if something you want comes in, but they don't order it for you. The last time I tried I wanted Habrosus Cories and they ordered Pygmaeus. Similar, but not the same. I wish that store was a better experience. So instead I drive 2 to 2.5 hours (one way) to support a couple stores that are really good. I just don't get to do so frequently.

• Sad 1

On 1/9/2023 at 5:00 PM, DiscusLover said:

Its mixed answers from what I have seen and how I had some in the past, I believe a better alternative would be green neon tetras which can handle hotter temps.

I agree with this, a lot of swim space for the tetras and schooling wouuld be great, in my opinion you should try adding another pair of rams @evilgenius

I disagree with this; cardinals are the warm tetra species not neon; neon are very similar to ember with green neon being a bit cooler.

On 1/10/2023 at 10:56 AM, evilgenius said:

I'm told they do better in warmer water. Dean breeds these at 86.

My LFS will let you know if something you want comes in, but they don't order it for you. The last time I tried I wanted Habrosus Cories and they ordered Pygmaeus. Similar, but not the same. I wish that store was a better experience. So instead I drive 2 to 2.5 hours (one way) to support a couple stores that are really good. I just don't get to do so frequently.

You can keep them at 86 but they 'burn out' pretty fast - 82 is a good breeding temp. To be honest most domestic rams have pretty weak genetics and don't live that long - wc do better but then you won't get all the fancy colours. I've been told by breeders  that golds from black are more hearty but not sure how true that is - also water matters a lot I think - rams really love ultra soft acidic water.

On 1/10/2023 at 9:17 AM, anewbie said:

I disagree with this; cardinals are the warm tetra species not neon; neon are very similar to ember with green neon being a bit cooler.

I believe your confusing neons with their cousins green neons. Unlike neons, green neons prefer warmer temperatures which is stated on the internet and from other fish keepers that I have talked with. They are kept in high 70s to high 80s some even stating the 90s as well. Neons however prefer cooler 72-77. Cardinals I do agree with 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:17 AM, anewbie said:

You can keep them at 86 but they 'burn out' pretty fast - 82 is a good breeding temp. To be honest most domestic rams have pretty weak genetics and don't live that long - wc do better but then you won't get all the fancy colours. I've been told by breeders  that golds from black are more hearty but not sure how true that is - also water matters a lot I think - rams really love ultra soft acidic water.

I've had these Rams with the Red Eyes for a year now with no issues. My tap water pH is 8.2, but the CO2 and stone bring that down a little. 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:21 AM, DiscusLover said:

I believe your confusing neons with their cousins green neons. Unlike neons, green neons prefer warmer temperatures which is stated on the internet and from other fish keepers that I have talked with. They are kept in high 70s to high 80s some even stating the 90s as well. Neons however prefer cooler 72-77. Cardinals I do agree with 

Yea my error. 

On 1/10/2023 at 11:24 AM, evilgenius said:

I've had these Rams with the Red Eyes for a year now with no issues. My tap water pH is 8.2, but the CO2 and stone bring that down a little. 

Actual ph as influence by co2 is not relevant it has to do more with the amount of kh in the water. Anyway these things are sort of grey in the sense it has to do with longevity of the fish - the more perfect the conditions the longer they tend to live; the less perfect the shorter but of course some individuals do better than others. Think of it of the person who eats nothing but choclate candy bar vs the person who eats a balance diet. In general one will be in better conditions but sometimes the candy bar person still out lives the health nut on a balance diet. 

On 1/10/2023 at 5:44 AM, evilgenius said:

I was seriously thinking about it. They are really hard to find up here. I had to drive 2 and a half hours one way to get this pair.

Oh I see, try finding some on aquabid or online, there are really good deals for pairs.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:08 AM, Theplatymaster said:

i thought rams needed 84-86?

84-86 is where most rams are kept to show the best colors but they burn out in a year, keeping them at 80-82 will still show great colors and keep them living longer

• Like 1