Night time water change?

Cinnebuns

I've thought about this a few times and want some opinions. 

I tend to be more of a night person and am commonly awake pretty late and sometimes all night. Occasionally I have been tempted to do a water change during that time but in always worried it will mess with the fish too much waking them and such. What's your opinion on late night water changes or other maintenance?

I always have the tank lights on when I water change as my lights go off at 22:00 so I can work on the tank late and have in emergencies. If I want to work later would just leave the lights on I wouldn't turn them back on after they have been off though  because it really throws off my ott my more nocturnal fish.

Have to follow the two others on this one. As soon as the lights have been off i wouldn't do anything in the tank anymore.

Because i worked in restaurant for years i'm a night person as well and most of the time not out of bed before noon.
So the timers of my lights are set to my lifestyle and not to the rest of the world.
Meaning that they are still on at night so i can do things like maintanance, but even more important enjoying my fish.

• Like 2

The tap water is much less aerated than tank water. At night plants consume oxygen. Doing a night water change will cause lower oxygen levels that are not good. 
Any time I have to check a noise filter etc at night my kids get stressed a lot. They need that sleep and are most vulnerable when they are sleeping. 
I would not want the housekeeper to change the sheets in the middle of the night while I’m sleeping in them. I’m certain aquatic critters feel the same. 
I often am a night person as well. It kills me to be able to do nothing with my tanks while I have all that awake downtime so I understand the thought on this. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

I can’t reply with definitive scientific proof, however I’ve been doing nightly water changes for years with no issues. Not too long ago, @Cory mentioned he was doing all his water changes at night at some point. I never altered the light schedule, I just turned them on if I needed them on, turned them off when they aren’t needed. Again, never had an issue. 

• Thanks 1