Moss I.D.? Never added.

This planted 75 has been set up for roughly 8 years and planted for 1.  The only plants introduced were Swords, crypts, pogo, and JF Windelov.   No moss was ever introduced.  The moss shown here (or whatever it is) showed up a few months ago and has slowly grown.  Any idea what it is?

20230107_194157.jpg

• Love 1

@Gwallace, How long was the wood in the tank before the moss (or whatever it is) grew? I ask because years ago I bought some driftwood pieces on Craigslist from a person who was decluttering and they had been in storage for some time so were totally dried out, but after I put them in my tank they grew moss. Mine looked more like Java moss

On 1/7/2023 at 10:08 PM, PineSong said:

@Gwallace, How long was the wood in the tank before the moss (or whatever it is) grew? I ask because years ago I bought some driftwood pieces on Craigslist from a person who was decluttering and they had been in storage for some time so were totally dried out, but after I put them in my tank they grew moss. Mine looked more like Java moss

3 years.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:52 PM, PerceptivePesce said:

The OP pic doesn't look like the mini pellia I have in my tank.  Even in that lower quality pic, I can tell the leaves look more broad.  

It looks cool tho. I want some!

Mini pellia and susswassertang can be somewhat variable.  I’ve not grown mini pellia myself, but my susswassertang doesn’t look exactly the same in each tank, or even each spot within a one tank.  It’s similar enough that’s clearly what it is, but it isn’t identical.  I’ve seen a fair amount of variation in pics of mini pellia and read enough to know it has some variability to its growth form.  It seems to be a bit dependent on the amount of current/water flow along with light levels.

On 1/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, Gwallace said:

This planted 75 has been set up for roughly 8 years and planted for 1.  The only plants introduced were Swords, crypts, pogo, and JF Windelov.   No moss was ever introduced.  The moss shown here (or whatever it is) showed up a few months ago and has slowly grown.  Any idea what it is?

20230107_194157.jpg

I agree that it's susswassertang.  There was probably a very small piece that hitch hiked on another plant and it's taken this long for it to grow enough to be noticeable.  It seems to expand exponentially, so you may see quite a bit in another month or so.

A few years ago I ordered some from a member on another forum.  I received a beautiful ball, roughly tennis ball sized.  It slowly faded away until I thought it was all dead, so I assumed it just didn't like my water.  Months later (when I had almost forgotten about it) I started seeing little bits and pieces, and now it's multiplied enough that I have good sized amounts in four or five tanks, and have sold some a few times.