‘Twas the Night before Auction…

Fish Folk

Tomorrow kicks off our 2023 Monthly Fish Club meeting. I guess I’m lined up to help by being this year’s BAP Chair.

If I do this efficiently, we can get out of the fishroom decently and in order in the AM. It takes us ca. 3-hrs to get to our meeting. 🚙 . . .

So here is how the night before goes:

(1) List all things online for club auction. Prepare labels and bags.

C141FD83-0AA7-4726-A71F-EE3F1D4F9844.jpeg.000fb7f2154da35bf153369f989bf19f.jpeg

(2) Isolate certain fish to ease morning catching, and fast.

E65786DE-1327-41FF-98DC-7F51BF9E8E42.jpeg.6bcd8e63ab0adaeba72011fe58ce64cb.jpeg

6DC1FF55-D697-47A7-ADFD-5A1ABB3F01DE.jpeg.5baf8c29a1330492b44f3e0a59dff7c5.jpeg

(3) Ready the Styros!

30C410AA-1A8A-4217-AEAC-727ADA452109.jpeg.0962f0440e544e521c1a9f3a83a6247e.jpeg

(4) Actually look over all fish to ensure they’re good-to-go.

7E78B604-B6C9-4B50-8BCC-14B97A57788A.jpeg.b9260d89e4bc8751a8e50698f7da9ae1.jpeg

4FF94C98-9D35-4F4C-BCB0-D39CD85C131E.jpeg.6fa6b2cd490a9b9769403ebcc47e5e44.jpeg

2F47827A-7833-45FD-8614-B6E497F161E9.jpeg.7161f32b6294a2baa536dde5c30f3304.jpeg

C069FC9C-DE2C-4C2F-A71B-DC3E912CD312.jpeg.ec58f57b8fb50dd8cf078a6284218c22.jpeg

Discus… Rams… Killis… Rainbow Shiners… Guppies… Long-fin Golden Blue-eye Bristlenose… Jewel Cichlids…

Yep. Lots.

Question: How much do you think we’ll come away with?

Answer: Enough to pay for gas to and from, and buy a dinner of really really good, wood-fired pizza. 🍕 

• Like 6
  • Love 4

My local fish clubs first meeting of the year is tomorrow, I have to go down to the fish room later today and do the same thing, getting ready. I am not sure what I will be taking yet, if anything. I have some fey growing out to take for BAP but I may hold off another month on one or two species to let them grow a little more. 

It is always nice to come out with enough to pay for the gas going, although my meeting is only about half hour away, and dinner on the way home, and maybe even pick up another fish or two for the fish room. 

• Like 1

Very nice first club meeting of the year today over near Washington DC. Auction was rather epic. I think we took nearly 90 mins to get through all the lots.

Our fish sold reasonably well. It is always interesting to observe what sells well and what doesn’t. Aquarists do not always appreciate plants terribly well on the east coast, so there were some amazing steals. I got virtually a lifetime supply of Susswassertang for just a couple bucks. Nana petite was selling  very, very cheap. And Valisneria that could rival Rapunzel’s hair was obtainable for pocket-change.

Our Discus and Rams were top sellers. I won’t gloat, but will say… we ate a very nice dinner afterwards, and I handed a wad of cash to my rather pleased wife upon walking through the door.

AND! Could I resist buying new fish????

“Negative, captain!”

We have new boarders…

A347B12E-CEF9-4D4B-B014-7736EF6843A6.jpeg.5c257b5490260017e71f1b3b61d439e8.jpeg

I was not ready for these to appear: Microctenopoma ansorgii (Ornate Climbing Perch).

Here’s a nice introductory write up.

And here’s another forum post from my fish club — lots of photos. I’m not absolutely certain, but I _think_ mine are tank-raised F1 fry from these imports.

Aquarium Glaser has featured these before…

3518A510-0B27-4D57-9544-AE59C40C1CC6.jpeg.13bc03ee87a05568b2e0a9b437bfff77.jpeg

I guess they’re pretty unique. Anabantids — bubblenest builders, like some Bettas and sparkling gourami. But shy, reclusive ambush-predators.

Got a bag full for less than $10 🤩

• Like 6
  • Love 2

On 1/7/2023 at 8:59 PM, Fish Folk said:

I got virtually a lifetime supply of Susswassertang for just a couple bucks

Uhm.... I need this please.  I don't know what people do, but I have a terrible time trying to get some suss (and grow it).

I wish that plant was something the big box stores had gallons of in their tanks so I could get some.  Looking at Ocean Aquarium as the example.

How was the meeting for you, being the chair and working in the new role?  I've never been to a club meeting / auction, but have seen them via youtube.  What happens when something doesn't sell in your club?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 2:05 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Uhm.... I need this please.

I’ll make inquiries. I know the one club member who had some. His was very “fine” crinkle-leaf. I almost thought it was a mislabeled bag of java moss.

On 1/8/2023 at 2:05 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

How was the meeting for you, being the chair and working in the new role?  I've never been to a club meeting / auction, but have seen them via youtube.  What happens when something doesn't sell in your club?

So, for clarity  — I’m just the new BAP Chair. Not the Club President. I had nothing to do. My role is checking all breeder’s award program submissions online, and awarding points per our BAP standards. This info gets added to a spreadsheet.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 12:18 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I was planning on coming to this meeting, but I ended up being up all night fighting a structure fire with the local fire department, so I decided it might not be smart to drive 3.5 hrs each way on no sleep, but I’m glad to hear it went well and I hope to make it to the next one!

Wow! Thanks for serving, helping out with that fire. Very commendable.

Ben told me he wants to see if you can come out with us next time we head over. 

• Thanks 1

Wish we had something like this down here; i can always use more plants. Maybe in the spring i'll fly up or drive up - long drive but us airways used ot have cheap direct flights (though I haven't checked what the pandemic has done to their schedule/price).

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 12:38 PM, anewbie said:

Wish we had something like this down here; i can always use more plants. Maybe in the spring i'll fly up or drive up - long drive but us airways used ot have cheap direct flights (though I haven't checked what the pandemic has done to their schedule/price).

There's always risk in buying fish and plants from anyone. I like the ways that ACO strives for excellence with their products. My son looked over all the plant lots and decided he's just going to buy quality plants from ACO to set up his new tank. Fewer risks. More product control. Great customer service. 

@Andy's Fish Den and @nabokovfan87 I forgot to respond to this question about sales. Some of all this depends on your area. My club is near DC. That affects what people keep, and can afford.

What I have seen is that most things sell. Unfortunately, certain fish just aren’t popular. Mid-sized New World Cichlids (e.g. Rainbow Cichlids… Firemouth Cichlids… Convict Cichlids… even Laetacara araguaiae “Purple Smilers”) just aren’t as well known by aquarists, and leave open concerns as far as temperament goes. The result is that almost no one wants to risk buying. So the bid prices go very, very low. When no one bids, _sometimes_ the seller can reclaim the lot and cancel the sale. A good auctioneer should learn how to “sell” each lot.

But established, peaceful, small New World Cichlids like Rams sell _easily_. Angels are so-so because they require space. But our Discus were the highest selling points at the auction last Saturday. African cichlids — even ornate Tanganyikan cave spawners — are kind of specialized. One club member can hardly get anything for his. But African killifish do very, very well by contrast.

There are many factors. Our meeting was lightly attended Saturday (ca. 50-70 people). But when a big-name speaker comes, there’s a larger crowd (ca. 120+). This impacts auctions greatly. More bidders means more buyers. Last Saturday, there were _hundreds_ of lots in the auction. Big money tends to roll out to items clearly posted on the mygroupauctions site early enough for people to get tank space ready. Last minute items don’t sell very well with certain curious exceptions: anything “wild caught in Peru” tends to go to high bidders no matter when posted; rare Corydoras, colorful Ancistrus, or unique catfish get snapped up as well.

At our club, Guppies don’t sell well. I can get much, much more selling mine online. Bettas don’t sell well either. 

• Like 1

I’m glad to see the pleco babies are doing well enough for some to go to auction. 
Your new fish are stunning, I’m looking forward to following their progress. 

When things don’t sell in our club there are a few folks with large fish rooms that have their own little Band or Facebook sales page. They bid $1 a take those home.  I have only seen one item get canceled and it was a large floating log with a high minimum bid price. 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 5:56 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I have not had anything not sell in one of my local clubs auction. We have had people bring in bags of duckweed and can always get someone to give at least a buck for it. 

You mean to tell me I've thrown away (actually... fed to my chickens) perhaps thousands of dollars of duckweed?! 😨

Edited by jwcarlson
  • Haha 3

On 1/9/2023 at 11:42 AM, jwcarlson said:

You mean to tell me I've thrown away (actually... fed to my chickens) perhaps thousands of dollars of duckweed?! 😨

Quite possibly. Someone usually will give a buck to feed it to some goldfish or something. Or maybe they take it home and feed it to their chickens as well 

• Like 2

@Fish Folkit is the same way with my local club for the most part, as for what sells and what doesn't. Myself, along with another member are usually the auctioneers for our monthly meetings, and I will start the bidding for at least $5 for each item, so that members will feel like it was worthwhile to take the time to bag things up. African cichlids in general are hard to get anyone to bid on, as there are only a couple of people that come regularly keep much, if any. We had a guy last fall that brought several various Malawi peacocks and haps, and they didn't sell well in the auction at all, I think maybe $5 per item. He got upset with us afterwards, and we just had to tell him that there is only a couple of people that keep those fish in the club and only one of them was there that day. If someone show up with a large SA/CA cichlid, or something else large, it's almost guaranteed that it will only go for a few bucks or the person will take it home. 

Lake Tanganyika cichlids are starting to grow with some people in the club. About a year ago, I took a bag of multi shellies with shells to a meeting for BAP, only got like $10 for the bag, but the other day, a bag of fry sold for somewhere around $35. And, there were several bags of of Tanganyika fish as well that sold for decent prices. 

Guppies will usually sell for decent price, as long as there is more than just a pair or trio in the bag, people like when there's a bunch of fry as well. But, people are shy about any of the wild type live bearers like goodeids, we had several this month, and no one wanted to buy any. I ended up buying a bag with about 20 Ameca splendens to add to my colony for $5. 

Plants will sell good, I sold a bag of subbwasertang (sp?) for in the $20 range Sunday .and there were several anubias plants that went for good prices as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:54 AM, Fish Folk said:

@Andy's Fish Den thanks for sharing that. I really appreciate your perspective. I do think that the Auctioneer “sees it all,” so to speak. I am  hoping to give it a try. Any tips for a newbie fish club auctioneer?? 

The biggest thing is to make sure that you're scanning the entire audience, and don't be afraid to ask people that are standing behind you or behind poles etc to move so you can see them easier if they want to bid or are bidding. Then, after that is trying to remember what dollar amount you are on, I did it this past weekend where I forgot what amount I was at after a small bidding war and then it stopped, I had a memory lapse of what amount it was to as I was trying to get more bids. 

Go for it at one of your meetings. I've been doing it at the monthly meetings for the past couple of years, and I have a blast, plus I get to see all the bags up close and can decide if I want to bid as well. My club is going to hopefully having our first auction that will be open to the public and other clubs this spring, and I will be auctioneering there as well, so I will have to see how that is, I've been to bigger auctions, but not done anything other than run bags to the high bidder. 

• Thanks 1

@Rube_Goldfish I always bring something to take notes: phone, notebook, clipboard, etc.

Look over the lots carefully beforehand if possible online (we use mygroupauctions). At meeting, sometimes I stand up when everyone else is seated and go look through lots alone.

Obviously, you need to bring enough cash to pay if you win. Don’t bid if you can’t pay.

I choose a $ amount in my head that will be my maximum bid. I stick to it like gorilla glue.

Every once in a while, a lot comes up that I didn’t expect… wasn’t posted… that I missed on the table… etc. If I’m confident, sometimes I’ll bid up to $20. But beyond that, I rarely bid.

• Thanks 1

@Rube_Goldfish Some solid advice already, here’s a few more.  Know what you’re looking for, know what you’re willing to pay for what you’re looking for, be prepared to leave without the items you’re looking for, and most important - KNOW YOUR MONEY LIMIT!  Take a good look for what’s actually there, if you’re interested in something you’re not familiar with - do a quick phone search to see if it would work with your tank(s)/fish, what a good price is, qualities to look for in a specimen (either bad or good), and decide before bidding starts how much you are willing to spend on that item/fish, don’t exceed your limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Rube_Goldfishbe sure to check out wherever you find out about the auction you plan to attend what payment methods they will accept. Most clubs anymore will accept credit or debit cards but there may be the odd one out there that doesn't. A lot of groups have gotten to where you have to register and run a tab, so make sure you get there with plenty of time to register, check out the stuff that will be up for auction, and maybe even grab yourself a drink and snack to enjoy while bidding. I make sure to always take a pen or something to write with so that I can write down item numbers as I'm looking over the stuff beforehand. I will set myself a limit overall what I will spend for the day and then for each item I want to bid on. A lot of times, if there are multiple bags of the same species or variety, if you wait for the first couple to sell, they will go higher, then you can get the others for a little less. Also, after the first couple of hours, a lot of times, people will start leaving and items will go for a little less money, I be sure to always plan to be at the auctions all day, I don't set a time that I have to leave at. This wy, I can stay until the end and scoop up some deals at the end. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1