Pest Snail Population Control - an example of how multiple approaches is sometimes needed

Cinnebuns

On 1/29/2023 at 6:41 PM, lefty o said:

snails, like fish, and plants, everything in this hobby can be accomplished in a multitude of ways.

Which is my point. Idk I got a little upset because of other things too. It's just frustrating that literally everywhere I've posted this point it devolves into conversation about trying to "help" my pest snail "problem" when the point is more than sometimes there is more than 1 solution needed and that there is not just 1 right way to do things. Idk how better to get that conversation started I guess because this approach isn't working. People are too focused on "kill the pest snails" to see the point of the post. It's my failure because it's how most people respond. 

On 1/29/2023 at 7:58 PM, Up North said:

You can hide the post but not delete it.  Or leave it, the post may not have gotten the response you were after but it is still a good resource for others. 

There is tons and tons and tons of info on how to get rid of pest snails. I don't think we need to add to that. However a conversation on how we talk to people about multiple approaches is not done anywhere I have seen. Especially when it comes to pest snails where people say "get an assassin" or "reduce feedings" all of the time when both of those solutions have their issues and aren't always enough. THAT is the point. Just thinking there is only 1 solution to a problem is not helpful or accurate. 

@Cinnebuns you need to realize the conversation on management and elimination is the same conversation.  A single assassin snail or single puffer will not eliminate a heavy snail population but it will help manage.  It eliminate snails you typically need several approaches.  If you are looking to manage the population pick one approach and don't hit it hard

• Like 3

On 1/30/2023 at 6:30 AM, Up North said:

@Cinnebuns you need to realize the conversation on management and elimination is the same conversation.  A single assassin snail or single puffer will not eliminate a heavy snail population but it will help manage.  It eliminate snails you typically need several approaches.  If you are looking to manage the population pick one approach and don't hit it hard

But neither conversation or management are the intended discussion but rather the fact that multiple approaches are needed. It's fine tho. I was having a bad day tbh. I apologize. Intended discussion or not it's still a discussion that people need or want. 

@Cinnebuns I understood and agree with what you have to say here and the conversation you are trying to have. Actually, the "many paths up the mountain" aspect of fish and aquarium keeping is something I love about it, and also a source of frustration, during those times when I'm feeling lost or overwhelmed, and I just want someone to tell me the answer already, but there is no one answer. So I get it, I understood you, and I'm right there with you.

But all that said, if you want to stop getting notifications for this thread (you know, like this one!), you can. Here's a (mobile) screenshot on a thread I started; I assume it's similar on a desktop:

Screenshot_20230205-141514.jpg.e6b5701bf7ecf1e3e47b97eb7fa89de4.jpg

• Thanks 1