New and hello...

Letort

I had to take a few years off from Freshwater planted tanks due to back-to-back back surgeries.    So I am currently re-starting my tanks.   I still consider myself a newb, as I am always learning about new things.   A couple 40 breeders and a 20 long.  A new 75 and a Xmas present of a new Fluval Flex 32.5.     The flex is to get my spouse into a little more of the hobby.

We are hard water here, but our PH is lower than in the past.    About 7.5-7.6    and my GH is only about 190-200 ( a few years back my tap always tested close  to 8. ) 

What I am HOPING for to re-start, is a guppy tank.    probably all males and then a second tank for breeding a few fems

Some Tanganyika  Neolamprologous caudopunks, or Daffodils,  or 3rd favorite Brichardi.   I'll pick one.

And of course a a Planted community tank, which we are hoping will feature some rainbows that can tolerate my water.   

Would also in the 32.5 like to try killifish, Gobys,  Gudgeons but I am right on that high side of PH and Harndess so that is where I hope I will get advice from Forum members on water and species.

I have always liked many soft water species but I am not going to chase my water to enjoy most Tetras, Celestial Pearl Danios etc... etc... 

Many weeks away from fish,  still slowly cycling tanks.....but looking forward to stocking, planting or aquascaping tips. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2023 at 9:03 PM, Letort said:

Would also in the 32.5 like to try killifish, Gobys,  Gudgeons but I am right on that high side of PH and Harndess so that is where I hope I will get advice from Forum members on water and species.

Welcome! I'm still pretty new to this so I can't give too much advice Killifish are one area that I feel comfortable with.

Most of the nothobranchius species of Killifish like it at least tolerate hard water. They are annual killis so they only like about a year but they have a unique breeding method were you actually have to dry out the eggs for a while. The bonus is that the are lots of killi enthusiasts out there and you can get the eggs pretty easily.

Mine were peaceful at first but after a few months something clicked and he got nippy. I've seen online that some people keep Guentheri and Rachovii in community tanks without issues.

@Fish Folk is more of the resident killi expert and can correct me if I'm wrong about any of that

• Like 1

Welcome aboard! This forum is a generous place to exchange ideas, show-and-tell, make inquiries, etc. I’m a relatively new killi enthusiast, but by no means any expert. I did start a little thread recently on Killis here, and I have a few journals on the Forum I update here, here, and here.

Right now, I am working with 4x species of Killis — 2x annuals, and 2x non-annuals.

Fundulopanchax scheeli (Emerald Killifish)

775718164_ScreenShot2022-11-18at2_07_03PM.png.f630d12b42a6fc068e7aa4dfca5a9874.png

Fundulopanchax sjostedti (Peacock Killifish)

2AC164DD-BF37-4096-91AF-277CFE29FD9A.jpeg.e04df25a61f1b50405d4d7fe80c5d9ae.jpeg

Nothobranchius guentheri (Redtail Nothos)

51E8A316-8A50-4187-83AE-13B03D080C9D.jpeg.48a8064295e078d8388fba25822b296c.jpeg

Nothobranchius rachovii Biera 98 (Blue Nothos)

B301C0BE-3650-47D6-87C2-67F586C6651A.jpeg.3259da8340d617a692f7d4d6d28f88b8.jpeg

Here is a 2-min video impromptu look at two breeding tanks this morning (1 divided 40-breeder / 1 double divided 20-long)

Here is a short video of Nothobranchius rachovii in a 5.5 gal.

Personally, I would want to be careful about Gudgeons and Killis together. Maybe it could work… maybe not. I would be concerned that Gudgeons could get attacked, but even more that Gudgeons would gobble up Killi eggs.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2