Bladderworts anyone?

I love carnivorous plants, but have never had much luck growing them. The one group I have had luck with is bladderworts aka, utricularia. I love the little bladder traps. Its cool to watch them catch mosquito larvae. They also have pretty orchid looking flowers! I keep some in my outside pond, but I prefer it in the aquarium. My understanding is that it's often a pest plant. Anybody else here grow any of the (non gramminifolia) utrics?

20230104_124645.jpg

20230104_124544.jpg

20230104_124529.jpg

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

On 1/4/2023 at 5:17 PM, Hally M. said:

Oh Wow that’s interesting! I had no idea we had carnivorous plants safe for our aquariums!! Where did u purchase them?

You can buy Utricularia gramminifolia (UG) At most fish stores as a tissue culture. The bladder traps grow under the substrate and are really tiny. The kind I have is Utricularia gibba. I got it at a pond store. Most places that sell pond plants will have it as a "hitchhiker". You usually have to find it yourself and ask to buy it. 9 times out of ten, whoever is helping you won't know what it is, or that it's a carnivorous plant. There is a good chance they might just let you have it for free. You can also buy them online on most major online places that sell aquatic plants (eBay, etsy, etc...)

Edited by Expectorating_Aubergine
  • Like 1