Can You Keep a Single Discus in a Community Tank

JJN

Hey, I've read alot of your articles and I was wondering, can I keep a single discus in a 40 gallon breeder with a school of neon tetras and a school of corydoras catfish? I've always wanted to keep discus but I don't have room for a bigger tank. What are your thoughts? Will this work or no?

Yes, In my opinion, you could. Almost any fish prefers to have others of the same breed but is isn't always necessary. Especially since discus aren't big schooling breeds. For the tankmates you have, all I can say is watch on the neon. I've had a few of my cardinals disappeared in my discus tank. Good luck with the discus. They are my favorite breed and are so much fun to keep! Are you buying local or are you having them shipped? I am looking for a new place to buy and was curious where you are going to buy from. Thanks!

Edited by Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics

In your situation and your tank, I would be more inclined to keep a pair of Discus as a breeding pair with maybe a small school of Cory's and drop the Tetra's. 

I don't think a single Discus will be happy in the tank and might show stress behavior or hides a lot. 

Heiko Bleher wrote the book on Discus:

IMG_1722.JPG.93d97705602694a834a56cd735ec8862.JPG

Heiko thinks of discus as a schooling fish as depicted on the front and rear inners cover of his book.

IMG_1720.JPG.59b291a8bbf6b00f3f0f23980775c441.JPG

Discus remind me of people as they are extremely social and political.

IMG_1724.JPG.51d5b59ee7984c71900d28efb073dc64.JPG

In my experience my discus have always schooled together in a group with the discus at the top of the hierarchy being the leader and main lookout.

Their favorite place to hangout is in tall weeds or tangled branches.

20200814_4047.JPG.9dfc814e2bd44338fb4c9b308b6b763e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Can you keep a single discus? Yes but the Discus probably won’t like it. Discus kept as a single tend to be very shy and stick to protected areas. When there are multiple Discus (at least 3) the behavior changes and you have fish that use the whole tank and become very interested in what you’re doing. 

60E2B73A-AB1C-4417-B533-C59F4C4725C0.jpeg

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3

I have a pack of 5 and they are always together swimming and eating in a group I think that most fish in community or bio settings are going to want to have a friend of the same species to chill with, just like how we love to be around friends cause our dogs/cats dont talk back!!😂

• Like 1