On 2/3/2023 at 4:22 AM, Theplatymaster said:

however i wanted to put this light on the same timer as my other light, to do this i needed a new timer. I will preface this by saying i dont use Wifi timers, just the manual pin ones. So i got my new timer and set it up, the one thing is i didnt quite understand it. So the light would have turned off and hour late last night if i didnt do anything, and it turned on an hour late today. The brightside is it is much less confusing than my previous timer, and it is set to the time very precisely. I did resolve this timing issue.

Yeah! I noticed this too when I changed over. Much more clear. I really like having the timer, schedule, and the hard button to just push and turn the lights off. All I need is a physical wifi button so I can push it and turn all the heaters and pumps off.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:22 AM, Theplatymaster said:

and last thing: Last night i did some reorginizing and got my some of my aquarium stuff their own drawer, as appose to just  a box on the floor, here's a picture: 

I'll have to show you what I did with mine. Added to my little fish area this past week.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah! I noticed this too when I changed over. Much more clear. I really like having the timer, schedule, and the hard button to just push and turn the lights off. All I need is a physical wifi button so I can push it and turn all the heaters and pumps off.

if i need to turn my lights off, they both have buttons on their controls that can do that. And i just unplug the filter for maintenance.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

Update: ALGAE!!!! my first thought, "I need amano shrimp, and hillstream loaches, and cherry shrimp, and everything that will eat algae"

my second thought: I have algae eaters, platies will eat my hair algae, and Garra Guy will eat the flat stuff.

my third thought: my fish are spoiled rotten, why would they eat algae when they could eat yummy pellets and wafers.

So my fish will have a fast. Ill start with a week and see if they start on algae, i suspect the platies will, and possibly Garra Guy aswell. I have seen a few of my platies occasionly pick at the hair algae, but i want to get more of them eating it.

I also will turn down my ACO light from 4->3, i think my issue with this algae is caused by too bright lighting, considering most of my plants are low light. IDK does excessive lighting brightness cause algae? Ill try though, ill post here if these methods work.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:41 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Oto time.

nope. Not getting anything new. First of all my LFS has bad otos. also my fishkeeping budget right now is like $10, and my current fish can take of it. My nerite snail is very effective at the diatoms, and Garra Guy has been eating at it aswell.

Also 4week QT period, algae could be gone by then. Its not worth breaking my fish plan or my budget for an unnecessary algae solution.

Edited by Theplatymaster
  • Like 1

I was about to set up my Brine Shrimp hatchery last night to give my fish some treats, than i remembered im fasting them so they eat algae, SO FRUSTERATING. its like IM the one fasting not them. The good news is ive seen platies that have already got to work on some hair algae.

I like feeding my fish BBS, and they love it. Its really nice since i have my platies in a colony breeding setting (Mostly) there are hiding platies of all sizes in that tank, and with live BBS, it gets all over the tank and they can all get a bite.

Im also reconsidering my  filtration. I have been running a Tidal 35, but i have a new issue that my panda garra gets stuck between the filter box that is in the water, and my back glass panel. Ive removed the filter for now, if my water is not as clear from stirred up debris i might need to look into a new HOB filter (IF you have any recommendations please let me know), otherwise i will just run the sponge filter, but i might need to upgrade air pumps for better efficiency out of it.

I shall try to get a picture of it, Garra Guy (the panda garra if you didnt know) has been aggressively eating algae. Earlier i saw him (Garra Guy is a male) almost hanging on to a large Dwarf Aquarium Lily leaf, and he was so determined to clean that leaf. Man i love my panda garra.

Picture 1 is my HOB in a bucket,

Picture 2 is my Brine Shrimp Hatchery filled with just water, which was the point i realized i was fasting my fish and shouldnt be feeding them brine shrimp.

Picture 3 is my Infusora/green water/Copepod culture, that i plan on using for fry food. One problem, i have no fry to feed with it right now. (It is next to the brine shrimp hatcher, i dont have 2 hatchers)

Picture 4 is Garra Guy on the front glass. He was eating algae off of my plants which i didnt get a picture of, but i got a picture of him on the front glass eating algae, that i probably missed in my scraping last week.

hobinbucket.jpg.6bc1bdd43d3f92323effb44864c3f6ab.jpgemptyBShatcher.jpg.56dcec78c71a924a760a9d83e4e85ee0.jpg

Copepodjar.jpg

garraguyonglass.jpg.f47f7b8ba182bee365c7829c5ce4f499.jpg

Edited by Theplatymaster

On 2/5/2023 at 10:41 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Is he REALLY getting stuck or just like hanging out back there? Usually there's enough space with an HOB. Maybe consider an alternative hiding place for him? Do they like caves?

no hes actually getting stuck there. I have nice hiding spots for my fish. there is the driftwood in the corner covered in plants, the Dwarf Aquarium Lilies leaves cover a bunch, and there is a coconut hut on the side.  I dont think hiding spots are an issue. Garra Guy is not shy at all, i just think hes trying to eat the snacks the back of the tank is lined with (Algae is a snack for a panda garra), and he ends up getting stuck.

• Sad 1

On 2/5/2023 at 12:30 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

For species like that it usually is a sign of temp or oxygenation being off and the fish wanting air and cover.

i dont think you understand why Garra Guy was back there. Imagine this:

You are a panda garra. You are in a tank with the back covered with food. ALGAE!! isnt it delicious. So you are climbing along the back of the wall eating all the snacks, and you are not paying attention to your suroundings. Then boom, you get stuck. You cant get out.

This is what happened to my fish, Garra Guy is perfectly healthy.

• Like 1

I have time today for this hobby, thats why im posting so much:

not using my HOB has given me slightly more filtration needs, and another outlet. So i played around with my air pumps. So my 20gallon tank is running a AP50 on its sponge filter, and the 5 and 2gallon tanks are both on an AP30.

here is a picture of my messy setup:

airpumps.jpg.25e10d5dfc25931a34697de2330fe665.jpg

The 30 is hooked up to a gang valve, with the 50 going straight to the sponge filter.

• Like 1

Today's Update:

As i should have predicted after a drop in temperature from 79-76, i got some corydora eggs this morning. They are getting slowly better at hiding their eggs, i pulled 5 off a dwarf aquarium lily leaf in the back, that the platies couldn't find. (The others were right by my sponge filter in their normal spot, nothing new)

I was too busy this morning to take a picture of the eggs, but once i get home ill edit this post and add a picture.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 5:22 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

yessssss!  Are you going to move them or let the tank do it's thing?

if i leave them in the tank they will get eaten by my swarm of platies (speaking of which,  i might be rehoming some of the swarm soon).

I need to check the back of the tank for hidden eggs, or eggs on hidden plant leaves, but i took these out to be protected. Im at a point i can passively colony breed platies, not cories, the platy fry can run, the cory eggs are left out in the open,

Ive had issues seperating eggs in the past due to my tweezers being broken so the tip couldnt get a find enough grip, but some simple bending and they are working again,and will be used to seperate infertile eggs as/if they come up.

unnecessary pictures of me holding my tweezers:

tweezer2.jpg

tweezer1.jpg

Edited by Theplatymaster

@nabokovfan87 how can you tell? The picture is horrible. But yes, looking at the eggs, mostly amber colored, no way ill be able to get a picture.

I did my monthly root tabbing a minute ago, as well as propagated a very dense anubias petite, that i have not touched since i got it 1year ago, i got 3 little plants off of it, growing slower then the barteri i got more recently, which ive made like 6 plants off of.

anubiasnanapetite.jpg.29af8fb6d5380239f1e05a359bbabc57.jpg

there are the new anubias i made, glue to rocks, the filter floss is a trick i learned to stop the plants from drying out.

I put the plants in this container, then cover them with moist filter floss and it keeps them wet, very useful if im waiting for super glue to dry