the clown loach I was sold is a tiger loach

Kamen_Kaiju

and apparently they get up to 10" long? 😬

he's become my favorite fish. (So much personality). 

How big a tank am I going to eventually need for him? 60 gallons? 100 gallons? 150 gallons? 

I hadn't planned on getting any 'big' fish. But now that I inadvertently have one I feel like I should start getting myself ready for the idea that one day he's going to be a Big Chonkee Boi! 

I would love to keep it under 100 gallons if I can but not if that's going to be like, "Betta in a tea cup" kind of thing. I want it to be happy and have room to swim. 

He's a super cool fish. 

Edited by Kamen_Kaiju

Depending on your setup, loaches prefer to be in groups. I had 6 in a 125 for a little over a year. They are highly entertaining. Problem with keeping 1, is you’ll probably never see it. The size of the aquarium to house a school of these guys is as big as you can afford. If you are going to stick to just 1, I’d say a 125 would be adequate, however the turning radius would be tight, so personally I’d go with a minimum of 180 gallons for a 12” fish. Hope this helps. 

• Sad 1

@Theplatymaster If you keep it individually, however these should be kept in groups and they are aggressive. You’re probably going to come across some issues dealing with tank mates unless they are larger. Then once you get into keeping it in a group, the 75 goes out the window for an adult sized group. 
By no means am I trying to discourage or bash in no way. I’ve just been down this road quite a few times. So if I keep a large fish, it’s a flowerhorn and it’s in a 75 to itself. That is until I can afford that 100,000 gallon lagoon. 

• Like 1

yeah I'm not sure what to do. When they sold it to me (Petco), they said it was a clown loach and would get 3"-4". I guess it's partly my fault for not knowing any better. 

I was there getting a catfish cory and I saw it and just thought it looked so cool and 'tiger-like' it was sort of an impulse buy with the catfish. 

Right now it's in a 30 gallon with some tetras and a couple mollys and corys, it seems to get along fine with everyone but it's not very big, maybe 1.5"-2". 

On 1/3/2023 at 10:40 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

yeah I'm not sure what to do. When they sold it to me (Petco), they said it was a clown loach and would get 3"-4". I guess it's partly my fault for not knowing any better. 

I was there getting a catfish cory and I saw it and just thought it looked so cool and 'tiger-like' it was sort of an impulse buy with the catfish. 

Right now it's in a 30 gallon with some tetras and a couple mollys and corys, it seems to get along fine with everyone but it's not very big, maybe 1.5"-2". 

Ok thats wrong too. Clown loaches get like 2feet

• Like 1

🤦‍♂️ yeesh

This is him right now...

image.jpeg.2335dd6f957a4ee441c413217c97ff65.jpeg

I need to figure out how fast it's going to grow so I know how soon I need a bigger tank. 

Jeez I just started in October and now I have 1.5, 3, 5, 10, and 30 gallon tanks. And I guess I need a really big one now. 😬

Edited by Kamen_Kaiju
  • Love 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:49 AM, Theplatymaster said:

maybe a 75? with a 10" fish, that should be enough. 

An 18” deep aquarium for a 10” fish? That seems cruel.

Personally, I’d be looking at something 150g or larger, with an emphasis on footprint/area and NOT height. 

"that's a yoyo loach"

thank goodness!

Once again this forum saved me. You guys/girls are the best. 

I knew it wasn't a clown loach because when I looked that up it looked nothing like it. Looking around I didn't see yoyo loach but I saw tiger loach and I thought it looked like that one. 

Cool,.. I'm not ready for a 150 gallon tank. My wife is already like, "Why do we suddenly have 5 fish tanks in the house?" 

My kids love them though. They're been so much fun to set up and watch. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 9:44 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

and apparently they get up to 10" long? 😬

he's become my favorite fish. (So much personality). 

How big a tank am I going to eventually need for him? 60 gallons? 100 gallons? 150 gallons? 

I hadn't planned on getting any 'big' fish. But now that I inadvertently have one I feel like I should start getting myself ready for the idea that one day he's going to be a Big Chonkee Boi! 

I would love to keep it under 100 gallons if I can but not if that's going to be like, "Betta in a tea cup" kind of thing. I want it to be happy and have room to swim. 

He's a super cool fish. 

I mean clown loaches are the largest sp. of loach

@Kamen_Kaiju you can keep anything individually. Question is are you trying to get the best coloration, behaviors, and have a possibility of seeing them out and about, then I’d go with a group. When it comes to corydoras, loaches, tetras, barbs, rainbows, any many others, they all do best at 6 minimum. Personally I only add fish when I can add a dozen. 

Yeah, loaches do often like groups.  Kuhli loaches are often not widely seen because people buy singles, and they hide away really well. 

I have 4 kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon (with fairly heavy moss forest), and at any given moment, I can usually see atleast one of them visible somewhere.  And if I can't, all I ahve to do is wait a moment, and one will be slowly making their way around the tank doing kuhli loach stuff (mostly scavenging for tasty bits, as far as I can tell).  Their behavior with a group of them is a pleasure to behold, so do possibly keep that in mind.  I'm less familiar with yoyo loaches (they get that name because the pattern on their side often looks a bit like text "Yo Yo"), but you might get more interesting behavior out of them in a group.

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2023 at 11:31 AM, Kamen_Kaiju said:

🤦‍♂️ yeesh

This is him right now...

image.jpeg.2335dd6f957a4ee441c413217c97ff65.jpeg

I need to figure out how fast it's going to grow so I know how soon I need a bigger tank. 

Jeez I just started in October and now I have 1.5, 3, 5, 10, and 30 gallon tanks. And I guess I need a really big one now. 😬

All I am going to say is this is a yoyo loach and they rarely reach 10 inches and the clown loachs grow much larger anyway.