Nephew’s 20 Gallon Livebearer Tank

I don’t get to see this tank often, but I set up this 20 gallon tank in my nephew’s bedroom for his 8th birthday. It’s a real simple set with ecocomplete substrate, rotala rotundofolia, bacopa, and Java moss. I also added some dwarf sag that I collected from my summer tubs last month. Stocking started out as 4 platys but a few months ago he came to the pet store I work at and he wanted to add some neon swordtails and I also added a lemon blue eyed bristlenose cull from my colony. It’s been a year and a half and this has been a really awesome hands-off tank and it’s always exciting when I go over and he wants to show me his new platy fry. He even asked me the magical question of “Uncle Mike, can we put another fish tank on the shelf under the tank?” Unfortunately his mother turned that down 😂

78C379DE-FF42-48EE-A210-4117AA580216.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking good, I like the Platy's and the Sword is nice too. Can I ask, did you top up the substrate with a layer of gravel or something?

Must be cool, working in a pet store!

Edited by Ruud

44 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Looking good, I like the Platy's and the Sword is nice too. Can I ask, did you top up the substrate with a layer of gravel or something?

Must be cool, working in a pet store!

It’s just ecocomplete and there’s a little crushed coral to buffer the water. 

Working in a pet store can be nice at times but there are also a lot of horror stories too. You have to really try and remember to not get caught up on the negative interactions. It’s definitely killed any idea I’ve had about opening my own fish store one day