Red and yellow racer nerite snails

Cinnebuns

Red and yellow racer nerite snails are pretty expensive but for good reason. They are beautiful!  They almost look hand painted. About 6 months ago I treated myself to 1 of each. I'm confused by one of their growth since then. 

Here is the yellow racer. You can tell where the growth to my tank started. It's a clear line. But the pattern continues the same 

20230102_173812.jpg.b895ef88a620cd4b2c37b3a4a763195d.jpg

Here is the red racer. Again same growth line but a completely different pattern. Any ideas?

20230102_172815.jpg.f4d37c13b108d536eb48743ec91d3ff7.jpg

20230102_172904.jpg.c8d5d411164a9f8771bdd9d24eedb3c8.jpg

My water is rock hard and high ph. Comes out of the tap at 21 GH and 8.2 PH. Typically most tanks are around there with the exception of 1. The red did spend a few weeks in that one but it's still a 14 GH so shouldn't be the issue. I also noticed this growth before it spent time in there. 

I don’t have racers but I think this still applies. My nerites change color and patterning after I purchase. Zebra and red onion most notably. My zebras stripes will even go in Different directions and some even become crazy zigzags. My red onions all had sort of wavy lines and darker almost reddish brown shells. Now they are orange with black dots instead of wavy lines. 
My guess on this is based on the difference in mystery snail shells each time they are moved tanks. 
Diet and water chemistry are what cause the patterns is my guess. Before these snails are caught the regularly traverse from fresh to saline water to lay eggs and the diet during these times would vary causing the patterns. Food in an aquarium is much different and more readily available. Mine go through a quick growth phase after I get them this further changing look of the shell. No longer having a saline transition causes new growth to no longer be as patterned. 
For your racer with the black pattern perhaps what was causing the dark stripes was a saline food source containing something Not available in a freshwater system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2023 at 7:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

I don’t have racers but I think this still applies. My nerites change color and patterning after I purchase. Zebra and red onion most notably. My zebras stripes will even go in Different directions and some even become crazy zigzags. My red onions all had sort of wavy lines and darker almost reddish brown shells. Now they are orange with black dots instead of wavy lines. 
My guess on this is based on the difference in mystery snail shells each time they are moved tanks. 
Diet and water chemistry are what cause the patterns is my guess. Before these snails are caught the regularly traverse from fresh to saline water to lay eggs and the diet during these times would vary causing the patterns. Food in an aquarium is much different and more readily available. Mine go through a quick growth phase after I get them this further changing look of the shell. No longer having a saline transition causes new growth to no longer be as patterned. 
For your racer with the black pattern perhaps what was causing the dark stripes was a saline food source containing something Not available in a freshwater system. 

This was my guess but I wasn't entirely sure. Ty!