Platy breeding

GisheryGoodness

So I've managed to save some platy babies one is a quite a bit bigger and was originally all I was planning on keeping but then they all kept hiding by the breeding box and I couldn't just leave them so now I'm raising about 15 of them. One is over a month older, I have a plan set for once they are big enough to go to a lfs. But my question now is do I keep them in the breeder box or should I try to set them up in another tank? I have a quarantine tank that is set up and running at all times just in case and have extra filter media if the tank needs it. Also will the bigger one eat the smaller ones. It's still way too small to put with the rest of the tank but bigger than all the others, more fish shaped I guess if that makes any sense. Oh also I took my hob filter out a while back because it was the second one I'd bought that broke and just switched to all sponge filters but now there's a hole in the lid where it should be. I've been keeping it covered with a cloth but if anyone has ideas on a fix for it I'd be grateful 

I agree, I would move them to a tank if possible because cleaner water means better growth and survival rates and more space helps them grow faster. I would not expect a 1 month old to eat the baby fry but if you wanted to be extra safe you could leave the 1 month old in the breeder box for a week while the new babies get fast at swimming and then put him in.

If you are worried about the space between your tank lid and the edge of the tank because you had a cutout for the HOB, I'm wondering what kind of lid you have? If you have the typical hinged glass lid with a plastic strip that you cut to make room for the HOB, you can tape a piece of plastic over the hole (I cut a piece out of the lid from a cottage cheese container and taped it in place, but you could use almost anything you can cut through that is waterproof) or you can order a new plastic strip from lots of places, here is just one:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Glass-Canopy-Backstrip-Small/dp/B001TI6HGI

Yup, I am getting overrun with platys, and my hospital tank is now a platy overflow tank. I also use it for plant clippings and such, and keep it bare bottom so it's easy to clean. I plan on giving them all away and they will be much easier to catch this way vs the original heavily planted tank.