Pregnant, bloated, or internal parasites?

Miranda Marie

(Or just female? LOL.)

Hello! I am wondering if someone can look at a couple photos of my ember tetras and help me decide if they're alright. I know females tend to be bigger bellied, but some of them just have really large tummies in comparison to the others and I can't tell if I should be concerned. No one acts ill and there haven't been any casualties since I got them 4ish months ago, but I just want to be sure. I'm giving them some peas tonight just in case it's bloating, but they have looked like this pretty consistently for a month or two. (No new fish have been added since they were.)

Picture one: A regular looking one, which I think is a male?

Picture two: Some of the presumably females with very round bellies.

20221230_180559-01.jpeg

20221230_180511-01.jpeg

Edited by Miranda Marie

I'll take a closer look at them in the morning and see if maybe they shrink some. I do fast the tank once a week, but I've noticed the difference in belly sizes between the embers for a few weeks now. Some look streamlined and smaller and some seem quite round. There's a decent chance they're overfeeding though since they tend to attack food like crazy when it's added LOL. I'll let them fast tomorrow and see if their stomachs seem smaller after that. Thanks, guys!

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 9:43 PM, Miranda Marie said:

I'll take a closer look at them in the morning and see if maybe they shrink some. I do fast the tank once a week, but I've noticed the difference in belly sizes between the embers for a few weeks now. Some look streamlined and smaller and some seem quite round. There's a decent chance they're overfeeding though since they tend to attack food like crazy when it's added LOL. I'll let them fast tomorrow and see if their stomachs seem smaller after that. Thanks, guys!

Hi there! Was wondering whether you noticed any differences after fasting them a bit. I have a batch of harlequin Rasboras where a few of them sound/look much the same. I just noticed so have been reading the forum posts on bloat, etc. they’re always so fun to watch while they’re eating that maybe we are over feeding without realizing. I don’t give more than they’ll eat in a few minutes but will lay of the food for a day or two. 

Tia!

On 3/20/2023 at 7:57 PM, MoonMom said:

Hi there! Was wondering whether you noticed any differences after fasting them a bit. I have a batch of harlequin Rasboras where a few of them sound/look much the same. I just noticed so have been reading the forum posts on bloat, etc. they’re always so fun to watch while they’re eating that maybe we are over feeding without realizing. I don’t give more than they’ll eat in a few minutes but will lay of the food for a day or two. 

Tia!

Ehhh. I haven't noticed much of a difference. I now fast them once a week, but even trying to fast them two days in a row, they still look like that, just maybe a tiny bit less? 😆 At this point I have just accepted that is how the females look. LOL.

Lol—well that’s good I guess!! If they’re still happy and good in all other ways, maybe it’s a non-issue. I’ve stared at mine so long at this point that I honestly can’t tell if I’m seeing things or if this is how they always have looked 😂

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:11 AM, MoonMom said:

Lol—well that’s good I guess!! If they’re still happy and good in all other ways, maybe it’s a non-issue. I’ve stared at mine so long at this point that I honestly can’t tell if I’m seeing things or if this is how they always have looked 😂

Yeah it freaked me out for a good couple weeks, but everyone seems healthy and fine so 😆 I think it's just that the females are rounder than the males...

• Haha 1