PUFFERS

Cinnebuns

For some reason puffers haven't caught my attention until recently. Now, looking at them more, I'm noticing something that is interesting and maybe explains why people love them. They are so human-like!  First the eyes. They have irises!  Even most mammals don't!  It's a very human thing!  Then there's the facial expressions. I know you can anthropomorphize any animal but it's so hard not to with them. You can read fake emotions into any position they are in. It's kinda interesting to me to watch them swim around a piece of food before they eat it, eyeing it up, with almost a look of excitement. 

Whats your favorite part of any type of puffer?  

Share some pics of videos of your puffers!

• Like 2

My son kept a pair of Pea Puffers for awhile. Very cute indeed! Requires some experience to properly feed. I cannot recall exactly what happened with ours . . . maybe ended up rehoming them. Fish that don't breed for us pretty directly don't often stay long. Here's a video we made...

• Like 1

‘Anthropomorphize’ is a term a bunch of stuffy scientists made up because they didn’t want to admit that animals had feeling. If you saw the experiments they ran back in the day, you too would need to suppress some things.

Anywayyyy, I love puffers because they do indeed have a ton of emotion. I’ve even seen them throw temper tantrums. But it might be the expressive eyes for me. 

As I call mine the “mightiest killing attitude packed in one inch of fish”, they are the sweetest little peas when interacting with me. They show emotions, and let you know when they are angry (Nicodemus does not like Reggae, but loves Metallica and AC/DC - go figure), are terrified of stripes, and when in hunting mode, the markings on their body show quite the contrast, with the line under their belly getting very dark and quite pronounced. Both are male.

One word of caution, get a lid. With all the commotion of a full house during the holidays, he jumped off his tank onto the floor below. A house guest almost stepped on him, thinking it was a cockroach (luckily, we do not have those here). He went back in the tank, and seems to be alright. It has been 5 days since he did that, so I think he is over the danger period. Too many super hero movies, I’m afraid.

Highly recommended little bits! 😍