10g Tank for Breeding N Guentheri Killifish

Schuyler

The were still gaps near the corners... Came out to see males in the female section again.

I plugged up the corners with filter floss and separated them again. If it doesn't work this time I may just scrap the divider plan.

I'm a bit tempted to try just giving them a spawning spot and seeing if they use it

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 9:52 PM, Schuyler said:

The were still gaps near the corners... Came out to see males in the female section again.

I plugged up the corners with filter floss and separated them again. If it doesn't work this time I may just scrap the divider plan.

I'm a bit tempted to try just giving them a spawning spot and seeing if they use it

I have notifications on when you post on this topic but for some reason it failed to let me know the last couple times you posted! I was Curious if you were able to figure out a divider. How many young fish are in there at the moment?

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:10 AM, Slick_Nick said:

How many young fish are in there at the moment?

It's hard to get an exact count with how much they are moving around but there are at least 20. Now I'm counting 12 of each. The females are tricky because there are some that are still pretty small and hide in the moss of floaters. The males are tricky because they are so active and will randomly start darting around when a couple decide to stay sparring.

It does look like the last fixes to the barrier have worked though which is nice

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, Schuyler said:

It's hard to get an exact count with how much they are moving around but there are at least 20. Now I'm counting 12 of each. The females are tricky because there are some that are still pretty small and hide in the moss of floaters. The males are tricky because they are so active and will randomly start darting around when a couple decide to stay sparring.

It does look like the last fixes to the barrier have worked though which is nice

That is a good amount! i know what you mean it’s very difficult to count them I usually take a picture and then count them in the picture but like you said some are hiding out so that still wouldn’t give you an exact count. Glad to hear the divider is working now hopefully the filter floss keeps it wedged in place 

• Like 1

Exciting day. A bit sad too. Today we brought two pairs of killis to the LFS for store credit.

I don't think the worker was very familiar with annual killis because he asked "were you trying to breed them or did it just kind of happen?"

On Monday I'll stop by and see if I can get a picture of them in the shop.

Edited by Schuyler
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:48 PM, Schuyler said:

Exciting day. A bit sad too. Today we brought two pairs of killis to the LFS for store credit.

I don't think the worker was very familiar with annual killis because he asked "were you trying to breed them or did it just kind of happen?"

On Monday I'll stop by and see if I can get a picture of them in the shop.

Are you saving up store credit for another breeding project or just using it for fish supplies? 

On 1/28/2023 at 8:42 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Are you saving up store credit for another breeding project or just using it for fish supplies? 

Just supplies. I got a bag of substrate with this credit but if I bring them more I may use the credit to get the A Striatum.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, Schuyler said:

Just supplies. I got a bag of substrate with this credit but if I bring them more I may use the credit to get the A Striatum.

Very cool! Sounds like a good deal either way!  Do you think they’ll still be there when you go back Monday? Do they quarantine them before they sell them? 

On 1/28/2023 at 9:10 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Very cool! Sounds like a good deal either way!  Do you think they’ll still be there when you go back Monday? Do they quarantine them before they sell them? 

I'm not sure. I don't think they quarantine because when I called her mentioned that they had space in a tank for them.

Honestly I'd be excited either way (as long as it that they were gone because they died). It would be exciting if they were gone because that would mean someone's wanted them. Then it would also be exciting if they were still there because it would be cool to see fish I raised in a store.

If I had stuck around I probably could have seen them in the tank but my daughter wanted to go look at the "birdies"

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:21 PM, Schuyler said:

I'm not sure. I don't think they quarantine because when I called her mentioned that they had space in a tank for them.

Honestly I'd be excited either way (as long as it that they were gone because they died). It would be exciting if they were gone because that would mean someone's wanted them. Then it would also be exciting if they were still there because it would be cool to see fish I raised in a store.

If I had stuck around I probably could have seen them in the tank but my daughter wanted to go look at the "birdies"

Understandable gotta keep the kids happy lol. It would be great if someone bought them because they’d definitely want the rest of what you have! 

• Like 1

Turns out there are lots of factors that feed into a male killis collision. Fur instance, if a male is low in the social hierarchy his coloring may be really faint and an inexperienced keeper could end up with...

An imposter "female":

PXL_20230204_015329696.jpg.e967aea684919a2ba1bbf204360a6b8d.jpg

Here is an actual female for comparison:

PXL_20230204_015410053.jpg.e0012d947696bd599f32af173e615209.jpg

The make fins seem much more rounded. Plus the body shape is off.

When I saw him in there he just looked off. It wasn't until I brought the light up close that the stripes and yellow face became visible.

The females only really seem to have that rosy gill cover.

Edited by Schuyler
  • Like 2

I did a big water change today. A while after I checked on the fish again and they seemed off. The males were all huddled in the corner, the females were glass surfing, and then there was the imposter...

PXL_20230204_225656840.jpg.338c1420ebd92338d37d4908cead1f27.jpg

I scooped him out with a little cup. I added more dechlorinate and noticed that the imposter was still breathing so I have him some more tank water. I figured I would give him more of a chance to come around.

A few hours later I checked back and everyone looked better. The males were being for food, females were hunting around, and the imposter was upright and acting normal! It looked like he was a goner but he pulled through. Hopefully he's still find tomorrow.

He's hiding behind the filter now.

• Sad 1

On 2/4/2023 at 7:07 PM, Schuyler said:

I did a big water change today. A while after I checked on the fish again and they seemed off. The males were all huddled in the corner, the females were glass surfing, and then there was the imposter...

PXL_20230204_225656840.jpg.338c1420ebd92338d37d4908cead1f27.jpg

I scooped him out with a little cup. I added more dechlorinate and noticed that the imposter was still breathing so I have him some more tank water. I figured I would give him more of a chance to come around.

A few hours later I checked back and everyone looked better. The males were being for food, females were hunting around, and the imposter was upright and acting normal! It looked like he was a goner but he pulled through. Hopefully he's still find tomorrow.

He's hiding behind the filter now.

Aww man hopefully he hangs in there! Did you not use enough dechlorinater originally? I’ve heard the cities will flush the systems at certain times of year which means adding more harmful chemicals into the water for fish  and your usual dose of dechlorinater may not be enough. I believe I heard Bentley Pascoe talk about that before.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 8:29 PM, Slick_Nick said:

Aww man hopefully he hangs in there! Did you not use enough dechlorinater originally? I’ve heard the cities will flush the systems at certain times of year which means adding more harmful chemicals into the water for fish  and your usual dose of dechlorinater may not be enough. I believe I heard Bentley Pascoe talk about that before.

I think either it wasn't enough or the temp/parameters were too different. I used a new dechlorinator that has slightly different proportions and isn't as concentrated as my normal one.

• Like 1

Traded in two more pairs to the LFS. While in the bag, one of the males alternated between panicking and shimmying up next to the females:PXL_20230209_013716705.jpg.54caf2ada6cd6097d5f96ed70eb4892e.jpg

The imposter female was out swimming around today so that's good but there is a real female that's not looking too good. She looks like she may have a swim bladder issue and perched herself on the heater:

PXL_20230209_062352990.jpg.761d37d76bb106fbad8465616b44336c.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 10:53 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Are you trying the usual salt & such? 

Yeah but I've been adding salt from the beginning to prevent velvet but I could try upping it. She may be a belly slider that I just didn't notice until now. The females spend a lot of time near the bottom so she may have blended in.

• Like 1

I did some looking around and it looks like there is a chance that this is brought on by stress or an infection. I'm going to try moving her to her own little "tank" and treating her with antibiotics.

https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v145/p111-117/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0006297922120136

With any luck she'll start feeling better but if not it may be best if she's culled...

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 9:33 AM, Schuyler said:

I did some looking around and it looks like there is a chance that this is brought on by stress or an infection. I'm going to try moving her to her own little "tank" and treating her with antibiotics.

https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v145/p111-117/

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1134/S0006297922120136

With any luck she'll start feeling better but if not it may be best if she's culled...

I’m curious if she’ll bounce back from that I’d be impressed 

On 2/10/2023 at 9:56 AM, Slick_Nick said:

I’m curious if she’ll bounce back from that I’d be impressed 

Honestly, it's a bit of a Hail Mary... Since I'm new to this I didn't want to just cull her if there was a chance she could recover.

@Colu have you ever seen a fish recover from being a belly slider? What do you think the odds are that this is disease or stress caused rather than a birth defect?

On 2/8/2023 at 10:51 PM, Schuyler said:

there is a real female that's not looking too good. She looks like she may have a swim bladder issue and perched herself on the heater:

PXL_20230209_062352990.jpg.761d37d76bb106fbad8465616b44336c.jpg

Edited by Schuyler

On 2/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, Schuyler said:

Honestly, it's a bit of a Hail Mary... Since I'm new to this I didn't want to just cull her if there was a chance she could recover.

@Colu have you ever seen a fish recover from being a belly slider? What do you think the odds are that this is disease or stress caused rather than a birth defect?

You could try Epsom salt baths 1 table spoon for 1 gallon for no more than 15 minutes for 5 days as Epsom salt acts as a muscle relaxant to help relieve pressure on the swim bladder I would also recommend doing a course of metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for up to 3 weeks depending of how their doings 

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well she's in her own container and had an Epsom salt bath. She didn't show interest in eating after though. She also jumped when I pulled her from the bath. She jumped about four inches. They really are built for it.

PXL_20230211_030449876.jpg.01796b173bd6cc3ef47c42bedd493d91.jpg

The males are much more eager to feed when I walk up to the tank.

PXL_20230211_023346732.jpg.a18c4a9c7e6a150ea150c274adcbaad7.jpg

• Like 1