Internal filter for shrimp tank

TeeJay

I have been thinking about adding a small nano internal filter to go in my shrimp sanctuary tank to help out with my sponge filters. Of course it needs to be shrimp and shrimpletts safe. Or as safe as possible. I have never used these style of filters before only sponges and hob. Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 1

So, I had a tiny internal filter on a nano tank that had Cherry shrimp in it, I was afraid they would get sucked into the intake but because of the shape of the intake, I couldn’t use a pre filter sponge ( the intake was part of the unit as a whole) so I ended up covering it with some pant hose ( ankle size) and it seemed to work. Maybe others might have a better idea🙂

• Thanks 1

I have a Fluval U2 filter in my 20gal with RCSs. This filter has slits on the sides where it intakes the water. These slits are blocked off with the sponge from the inside. My red cherry shrimps love to get in the slits to munch on whatever food is stuck in the sponges. The suction is not strong enough to bother the shrimp at all. Even the tiniest of baby shrimps get in and out of those slits no problem. I only found 1 dead shrimp inside the filter and I think he crawled inside through the outlet that wasn't expelling water (this filter allows me to choose which outlets i want the water to come out from)

The Fluval U1 model is for tanks up to 15gal.

• Thanks 1

Sicce and marineland have some pretty decent internal pumps.  Don't get the Shark ADV but the new one that isn't egg shaped.

In terms of internal, I would do an internal sponge filter and then secondarily add a pumphead mod the output with a spraybar.  Not easy to do, but it's one of the better internal filters.   You could also do this.....

• Thanks 1

After debating all morning I decided to go with this and got some pre filter sponges for the intake tube. Looks like I can change up what filter media I want since it's just a dual sponge inside the basket. Figured I would stick with what I know. It says "adjustable flow" we will see about that. I figured for 18 bucks it's worth a try. 

Screenshot_20221228-145845.png

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 6:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

These tend to be pretty decent, and it’ll definitely add some flow and detritus removal if that’s what you’re after. Stuff a bit of floss in there and you’ve got a cheap water polisher.  

Yes I just wanted to add a little extra filtration for mainly those reasons. The dual nano sponges work well enough. Just like an added bonus 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 7:58 PM, BlueLineAquaticsSC said:

Not really all that different from a sponge filter, but have you thought about doing a matten filter instead of an internal. I imagine the shrimp would love grazing in it and it should be just as safe as a sponge.

Always thought it was an interesting concept. They are air driven right?

Here in the Netherlands i find that a lot of shirmp keepers seem to be using the Aquael pat mini filters in combination with a double sponge filter or a matten filter.
Gives a bit more flow then a regular sponge and i use them because they don't make the bubble sounds an airstone does.
My gf hates that noise. So i wouldn't be able to keep my tanks in my livingroom without the Aquael Pat Mini.

Not sure if it is available in the US.

aquael-aquael-pat-mini-aquarium-filter.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 8:37 PM, TeeJay said:

Always thought it was an interesting concept. They are air driven right?

You could do air or a power head, it works essentially the same as a sponge filter by drawing water through the sponge wall. The Co-op probably has a video on how to make one somewhere but if they don’t, the mini pond build that Dean made with the pvc “faucet” thing that uses air to draw water from the bottom and bring it to the top is essentially what a matten filter uses except it goes behind your sponge wall.

• Thanks 1